Haulin' Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinelife

Minister of Fire
May 31, 2010
Way Up North Michigan
I have a 2007 Silverado 1500 with a 5.3 Vortec. What are the downsides to pellet dealers putting a pallet of pellets right in the back of the bed ?? I know that a full size truck shouldn't haul a ton. Has anyone had any issues with springs breaking etc ?? I know when they put a pallet in the back of my truck it takes the springs right down all the way. Any thoughts ??

well look at it this way buy a cheap trailer that will hall a ton of pellets or hope you dont break your truck and pay to fix your truck what it would have cost to buy a trailer

I have a 05 F150 with the 5.4 V8 and have hauled a full ton a couple of time over 80 miles no problem. Just make sure to strap it in. If it starts to slide it could tare the tailgate right off the truck. I see many people we load up drive away without strapping it in and some come back saying it shifted and they lost bags.

I have an 06 F150 and have placed a ton of pellets in the bed without a problem. My truck is rated at 1700lbs. As you can see from the picture the truck handles the weight just fine.

Attachments

• truck.jpg
    truck.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 863
Had a 97 Tacoma which I loaded with 15 sections of 8' cedar stockade fence....the front wheels were coming up when I turned. A month later I had a funny noise whenever I accelerated. Broken leaf springs. Both sides. $2100.00

...the funny continuation of this story...

So I fenced in my back yard in a rage to finally keep my dog in the yard. I went and got all of this fence, two trips...26 sections altogether. Busted my ass hand digging holes because I had gravel. Couldn't use an auger...took me all weekend, I cemented the posts in..went inside and passed out from exhaustion Sunday night. Monday morning I wake up to go to work and my truck is missing from the driveway. I ran around thinking I left it over to the neighbors...called the cops to report it stolen...I should have gone out back, there it was...fenced in! I drove it through a section of fence Dukes of Hazard style...YEEE HAW!

That night I fixed the fence. The next morning my dog dug a hole under the fence and escaped again.

NorthernQuad said:
I have a 2007 Silverado 1500 with a 5.3 Vortec. What are the downsides to pellet dealers putting a pallet of pellets right in the back of the bed ?? I know that a full size truck shouldn't haul a ton. Has anyone had any issues with springs breaking etc ?? I know when they put a pallet in the back of my truck it takes the springs right down all the way. Any thoughts ??

I have the '02 version, no problem hauling a ton of pellets, just make sure your tire pressure is up.

Uhaul has an open bed trailer rated at 2600 lbs that I rented yesterday for $20. Rent the trailer, load it up with a ton and a bit from another pallet. Throw the rest in the back of the truck. Haul 2 tons for $20 extra. Why beat on the truck when you can avoid it for $20 and save gas by making one trip instead of 2?

Matt

I think what I'm going to do is instead of having them drop a pallet inside the bed of my silverado, I'm going to just load it up a bag at a time evenly throughout the bed. Even though it is still a ton, it will be distributed evenly instead of having dead weight in one small are of the bed. Plus i'm only driving about 15 miles.

This is where saving a few bucks can cost you in vehicle, time and your back. I took delivery of 2 pallets (2.4 ton) that were placed in the back of my garage by hand jack for a 20 dollar total delivery charge. He was going to be in the area for 2 other deiveries and was able to lower his fee from 39. No brainer.

25-30 bags, I do myself. After that, I am most likely buying more than a ton at a time and need to weigh the options out. But, the 1 ton purchase just might be the line in the sand.

Most half ton trucks wiil carry it no problem. Have the forklift operator place the pallet over the rear wheels in center of the bed and strap it down.

NorthernQuad said:
I think what I'm going to do is instead of having them drop a pallet inside the bed of my silverado, I'm going to just load it up a bag at a time evenly throughout the bed. Even though it is still a ton, it will be distributed evenly instead of having dead weight in one small are of the bed. Plus i'm only driving about 15 miles.

I'd still make 2 trips w/a 1500, the $9 dollars in gas vs 4.50 wouldn't phase me.....but your thought is a better option no matter what.

Fold the rear seats up and throw a few bags back there too.

smwilliamson said:
Had a 97 Tacoma which I loaded with 15 sections of 8' cedar stockade fence....the front wheels were coming up when I turned. A month later I had a funny noise whenever I accelerated. Broken leaf springs. Both sides. $2100.00

...the funny continuation of this story...

So I fenced in my back yard in a rage to finally keep my dog in the yard. I went and got all of this fence, two trips...26 sections altogether. Busted my ass hand digging holes because I had gravel. Couldn't use an auger...took me all weekend, I cemented the posts in..went inside and passed out from exhaustion Sunday night. Monday morning I wake up to go to work and my truck is missing from the driveway. I ran around thinking I left it over to the neighbors...called the cops to report it stolen...I should have gone out back, there it was...fenced in! I drove it through a section of fence Dukes of Hazard style...YEEE HAW!

That night I fixed the fence. The next morning my dog dug a hole under the fence and escaped again.

Thats one of those great stories that can only happen in real life.

Unfortunatley the pellet dealers near me dont deliver at all. I would definatly do that if they would.

NorthernQuad said:
I have a 2007 Silverado 1500 with a 5.3 Vortec. Any thoughts ??

Well the bowtie might be some of the issue.(JK) :cheese:

My Ford 06 F150 hauls them a ton at a time no issues.

Proof!(see pictures) I have more pictures when I hauled my Cubies in the spring just gotta find them!

If I were to add to the suspention, I would go with the air bags add on. Fill them up when you need it and air it down when you don't. Smoother ride when not heavy hauling(aired down).

Attachments

• side.jpg
    side.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 693
  • bed.jpg
    bed.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 679
Jay, I wont bust on ya too much about the Ford but, that looks a bit low too me.
;-)

Werm said:
Jay, I wont bust on ya too much about the Ford but, that looks a bit low too me.
;-)

P.S. Bowties alway dress things up!

I haul a ton in my beater '84 Dodge D100 with no problems... 30 miles on the highway. My f150 would take a ton in the box and another in the trailer.

My Peterbilt will handle 25 tons...

Werm said:
Werm said:
;-)

P.S. Bowties alway dress things up!

Lets see yer bowtie with a ton on her back!

Notice the trailer hitch in the second picture. Its still a 10" of the ground(bottom of the ball nut)! It never dragged. Most would need to pull it out cause of it dragging! She only squats 4-5 inches with this load. easy hauling!

krooser said:
I haul a ton in my beater '84 Dodge D100 with no problems... 30 miles on the highway. My f150 would take a ton in the box and another in the trailer.

Hey krooser. Good to see, hear or read(not sure which) you! How have you been?

Maybe some of us pellet heads could use you as our pellet hauler?

jtakeman said:
krooser said:

Hey krooser. Good to see, hear or read(not sure which) you! How have you been?

Maybe some of us pellet heads could use you as our pellet hauler?

I've been pretty quiet lately... three months ago my Dell laptop crashed (literally!) when my son's dog snagged the power cable and it hit the floor. So I've been using the public computers at the "libarry" until yesterday when I re-hooked up to my cable company and plugged in my new iMac... no more stinky people sitting next to me surfing Match.com seeking Neanderthal dating partners...

Several weeks ago I actually got to listen in (at the libarry) to a couple "anarchists" plotting their scam to get $$$ to head to Toronto to protest whatever they were protesting up there... theie scheme was to quit their fast food jobs and head to Madison, WI to beg on the street corners.... they figured they could do better than $8.00 per hour if they lettered up the right sign. Among their proposed pitches was to pose as Iraqi war vets down on their luck... but they figured they'd do better with some other approach since they'd be in the "People's Republic of Madison" and some folks would probably throw rotten tomatoes at Vets...

I should have just kicked their little pasty white butts...

So, now that I've moved to the "dark side of computing" with my Mac, iMac man and I are kindred spirits... I just hope he doesn't expect "special favors" when I get confused on this new OS...

krooser said:
....until yesterday when I re-hooked up to my cable company and plugged in my new iMac...

So, now that I've moved to the "dark side of computing" with my Mac, iMac man and I are kindred spirits... I just hope he doesn't expect "special favors" when I get confused on this new OS...
:lol:

Glad that the Krooser is finally using a REAL computer. No, no special favors for computer help. Hey, it's a Mac....you won't need much (if any) help. AND, no more worrying about viruses, trojan horses, malware, adware, etc, etc.

Welcome back to the wonderful world of Mac :)

imacman said:
krooser said:
....until yesterday when I re-hooked up to my cable company and plugged in my new iMac...

:lol:

Glad that the Krooser is finally using a REAL computer. No, no special favors for computer help. Hey, it's a Mac....you won't need much (if any) help. AND, no more worrying about viruses, trojan horses, malware, adware, etc, etc.

Welcome back to the wonderful world of Mac :)

This Mac stuff is easy...I used to have an Apple IIe....

Have used IBM PC or compatible since the day they were first introduced. Kind of dating myself here. My wife teaches at a local high school and purchased a Mac Powerbook over 5 years ago. Since she has been teaching, the high school has since changed to all PC. I use a IBM laptop at work and her Mac at home. I definitely have less problems running the Mac than the IBM. I'm sure that you will enjoy your Mac.

Krooser, did you pick up your pellets yet? Just picked mine up on Saturday in Readfield. Could only fit 6.4 ton in my gravity box, was hoping to get 7 ton to fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.