Haulin The Wood!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xjcamaro89

Feb 1, 2011
New Castle, PA
After my first successful winter of burning, this years wood should be even better since i got it all last summer, but here i am, haulin all the wood i can find for winters beyond this one coming up. The amish guy had alot of good thick slab wood, some of the slab wood was so thick i had to split it! So im hauling as much as i can while my back can take it, and i can find room somewhere in the yard for it.

There are two huge racks next to the garage, another 12ft rack behind that shed, and two racks in front of the house. Plus i brought in 2 more loads after this one. I have wood everywhere!

And at $15 a heaping truck load, im gonna get it while the gettin is good. Less than $100 to heat the whole winter. I know its not as good as free, but i dont have to cut and split (most of it) I dig through the guys slabwood pile to find the good chunks, but most of the time they are all good chunks so i just have to toss it in the truck. And of course of stack it nice in the truck so i get more!

wood-1.gif

good to see you thinking ahead, season wood is so much better and safer, when i got interested in wanting to heat with wood, I found this site and I learn the importance of letting wood season and getting ahead of the game, get all that wood you can , It's money in the bank.

At $15 per truck load, I would turn my splitter into a shop press. Good job getting ahead of the game.

Don't be surprised if one of our fine mods moves this into the "Wood Shed" forum. It will bring much attention there. ;-)

Jags said:
At $15 per truck load, I would turn my splitter into a shop press. Good job getting ahead of the game.

Don't be surprised if one of our fine mods moves this into the "Wood Shed" forum. It will bring much attention there. ;-)

Oh sorry, if i was thinking straight i would have put it there to begin with.

xjcamaro said:
Jags said:

Oh sorry, if i was thinking straight i would have put it there to begin with.

Not to worry. Its all good. :)

RIDGERUNNER30 said:
good to see you thinking ahead, season wood is so much better and safer, when i got interested in wanting to heat with wood, I found this site and I learn the importance of letting wood season and getting ahead of the game, get all that wood you can , It's money in the bank.

I knew before hand that seasoned wood was better, but i had no idea that a good seasoning on wood was over a year depending on the wood until i also found this site. I could tell when burning this past year when i would get some bigger peices that were not as dry. I know this upcoming years burns will be stupendous!

Awesome. Nice work. I wouldn't sweat the $15. That's nothing for what you're getting out of it. Rock on.

And don't forget that some wood needs more than a year to dry properly. Good for you for getting this wood and getting ahead on your wood supply. Although slabwood there are some very nice pieces in there.

I would caution you when it comes time to burn those slabs to be careful how much you put into the stove at one time lest you take the chance of overheating the stove. Because most slabs are quite small (note those on the tailgate) they will burn faster and that means some super hot times for the stove. That is one reason slabwood is so good along with other wood so you can mix it.

I recommend getting 2-3 years ahead on your firewood. Looks like you are well on your way! Congratulations.

Backwoods Savage said:
And don't forget that some wood needs more than a year to dry properly. Good for you for getting this wood and getting ahead on your wood supply. Although slabwood there are some very nice pieces in there.

I would caution you when it comes time to burn those slabs to be careful how much you put into the stove at one time lest you take the chance of overheating the stove. Because most slabs are quite small (note those on the tailgate) they will burn faster and that means some super hot times for the stove. That is one reason slabwood is so good along with other wood so you can mix it.

I recommend getting 2-3 years ahead on your firewood. Looks like you are well on your way! Congratulations.

Yes, i know that the slab wood can burn pretty hot..........There were a couple time last year where i could smell the burner, although i think that it was getting hot to the point where some paint was curing that didnt cure during normal fires. And i understand that some wood needs to sit longer.

What i do is usually use the thinner smaller slab wood peices to start the fire, and the thicker meatier peices for long burns, seems to work pretty well, and this year i am definately getting me some stove thermos.

$15 a truck load! I'd be stacking it too. Nice, very nice.

fv

Good for you. The thermometers on the stove gives you good information. Some may not be accurate but will still give you a good idea of what is happening. We never used one before getting our last stove but now I'd hate to be without one. We use one on the stove top and one on the flue.

xjcamaro said:
Backwoods Savage said:
We use one on the stove top and one on the flue.

Im thinking thats what im going to do.

That is always best, IMHO. If ou have double wall you need a probe on the flue. Oh and for $15 a truckload, I would get every truck load you can store. Nice score.

Shawn

I definately get every truck load i can, I can get a little over a half a cord in a load. I hauled 13 loads last year, and 6 this year so far. I can only do about 2 loads in a day though, by the time i bend over to pick up all the wood from the pile and throw it in my truck, then crawl in my truck and stack it, and keep doing that back and forth a couple times, then go home and unload it and stack it again. Doing that twice in one day makes my back hate me. But there have been some days when i have gone and the pile of slab wood is so good looking i wish i could haul it all day! But by the time September comes around im tired of hauling wood.

I burned about 3.5 cords last year.

And the thickness of the wood in the picture is a little decieving, alot of that is not as thin as it looks, most of that is 3" thick or more. You can see that big chunk on top, i split that one three ways!

Best thing to do this time of year is to get ahead on the wood.

Collect all the wood you can while most folks attention is elsewhere ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.