Hauling a ton in f150?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DV

Feeling the Heat
Feb 6, 2012
Southern MD
I have a 2016 f150 5.5 foot bed. Load capacity is 1,748 pounds. Question is would you load a ton of pellets in this truck? The pellet store is a mile from my house.

If the store is that close personally I don't think I'd push it. Would just make two trips. Waiting to hear what others think.

Reactions: Seasoned Oak
If you have an extra cab with a back seat throw 15 bags in the back and the rest in the bed.

I'd load and go.

Reactions: Pete Zahria
I used to haul 6-7 tons of corn a year. 1 to 1.3 ton at a time from 6 miles away with no problem. This was with a 1996 f150 and the newer trucks are so much better. It will definitely squat it to the max. It will be a low rider on the way home. Just don't go 100 mph and leave plenty stopping distance and you will be just fine. Preferably not on wet roads but I have done that to. When they load them have them load them as fas forward as possible. If you can get them all the way to the front it will put some of the weight on the front wheels and all the better. I have hauled a skid of water softener salt 1.2 ton 35 miles come to think of it. 1 mile is nothing. It just takes common sense, but some say I have none of that LOL I'm sure you will get get mix answers on this so you will have to make the decision.

Could be hard on the tires too. Check yur load rating on the tires ,could do damage that wont show up right away. No way would i intentionally overload a new truck.

Could be hard on the tires too. Check yur load rating on the tires ,could do damage that wont show up right away. No way would i intentionally overload a new truck.

Your not going to hurt the tire unless you run it over the curb or through bad potholes at excessive speed not fit for an empty truck. Load ratings on tires, trucks, bridges chairs and whatever are for lawyers. They don't build/make things and say they haul half a ton and then when you put half ton on them and then get in the seat putting you over half ton it breaks. If its rate at half ton that means no law suit at half ton.

Last edited:
Check what your tires are inflated to. You may want to inflate them to your maximum psi rating before you haul and then adjust them back down after.

I put a half ton of pellets in my Subaru Crosstrek and made it back to my house fine - about 2.5 miles. Only a mile... you'll be fine; just drive slowly and deliberately. Probably want to push the pallet as far into the bed as possible to spread the load between the axles. Or put some bags in the cab with you.

Reactions: Pellet-King
Its not hard to shift a large part of the weight of the truck to a single tire, just rock to one side while on a hill whil epulling into a driveway and you have overloaded the tire by a lot. Especially if yur overload to begin with. Iv just had a large tire on my 3/4 ton truck blow apart ,belts split.and that was while parked,and i rarely ever get close to a ton on that truck. Just sayin its possible, and very easy to avoid.

Reactions: Fishnj
I used to haul 6-7 tons of corn a year. 1 to 1.3 ton at a time from 6 miles away with no problem. This was with a 1996 f150 and the newer trucks are so much better. It will definitely squat it to the max. It will be a low rider on the way home. Just don't go 100 mph and leave plenty stopping distance and you will be just fine. Preferably not on wet roads but I have done that to. When they load them have them load them as fas forward as possible. If you can get them all the way to the front it will put some of the weight on the front wheels and all the better. I have hauled a skid of water softener salt 1.2 ton 35 miles come to think of it. 1 mile is nothing. It just takes common sense, but some say I have none of that LOL I'm sure you will get get mix answers on this so you will have to make the decision.
2X what adayrider said. I've got a 2013 1/2 ton Silverado 1500 crew cab, 4 wheel drive. It's rated for 1950 lbs payload. So far it's moved 11 tons of pellets in 2 years with no problem. Fill your tires up and watch your starts, stops and turning. As with any loaded vehicle, the dynamics change with more weight. You shouldn't have a problem. Especially with the short distance your going. Just make sure it's pushed up against the front of the bed. I also remove my tailgate. Helps the towmotor in loading and removes some rear most weight. Just strap it down. I also moved 6 ton of pellets with a Dodge Dakota V-8, extended cab 2 wheel drive. Yes it was over loaded, but driven sensibly and a short distance, it was fine. And 2 years later, it's still fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Edward Hughes
I have a 1500 Ram and have taken a ton over 70 miles. But I broke the skid up and payed them bag by bag in the bed to distribute weight as evenly as possible. Truck went Down al little lower but don't drive like a maniac and you should be ok.

If you chose to do that, just remember your brakes aren't going to work as well as they normally do so keep a good distance between you and any vehicles in front of you.

I have a 2016 f150 5.5 foot bed. Load capacity is 1,748 pounds. Question is would you load a ton of pellets in this truck? The pellet store is a mile from my house.

I have a 2015 F150 SCAB 6.5 bed 1991 capacity. I have been hauling a ton of pellets in my truck. The weight doesn't bother me that much, but it really does change the center of gravity since the stack is pretty high. That kind of bothers me more.

I would do it and not worry about it, but make sure you strap it down, I use a couple good rachet straps corner to corner, that helps. Only going a mile makes it real convenient for you for sure. I have a lot further to run than that.

Only had to drive half mile in the Exstended bed Chevy with 2 tons... purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrfictly level as u can see. but could have gone much further..
10151137_839547302729343_7793896227391643054_n.jpg

Reactions: bogieb
So what's that mean?
Are you going to try it?
Yes. I had already planned on doing it just wanted some reassurance. My old truck was a f 250. I have hauled 1 ton pallets probably 30 times with that truck. Im not real concerned with this truck. Will add some air to the tires prior.

If it was me i would haul a ton that far shouldn't be a problem but if you want to be overly cautious borrow a trailer your Truck should be able to tow that much no problem and be legal doing it its your truck so

Reactions: bogieb
Yes, I would load a full ton for a short trip!

Here is my truck (1970 Chevy C10) with about 30 bags in it. I am limited by the bed cover on height.

Pellet Delivery 10-5-2015 (1).JPG

Here is my friends truck (1969 GMC K10) with a full ton in it.

Pellet Delivery 10-5-2015 (3).JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.