Hauling a Ton of pellets on a Small Trailer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Use your friends old dodge truck, dont waste $1000's on a trailer, or just pay the measly shipping cost

I bought a 5x10 single axle utility trailer with 15" wheels. It's capacity is 2340lbs. I plan on hauling a ton of pellets with my gmc Sierra 1500 V8 5.7L. Unfortunately, the gate on the trailer does not come off. So I'm curious if a forklift will be able to drop a pallet in the center. I might have to distribute the bags across the floor. The wooden sides are almost done on the trailer and then I'll be out spring shopping for pellets. I'll post pictures when it happens.

Sounds like the one I have from TSC. The ramp was not removable. Forklift CANNOT load onto that. I had it modified so I can take it off.

I bought a 5x10 single axle utility trailer with 15" wheels. It's capacity is 2340lbs. I plan on hauling a ton of pellets with my gmc Sierra 1500 V8 5.7L. Unfortunately, the gate on the trailer does not come off. So I'm curious if a forklift will be able to drop a pallet in the center. I might have to distribute the bags across the floor. The wooden sides are almost done on the trailer and then I'll be out spring shopping for pellets. I'll post pictures when it happens.

most places that load stuff wuth a forklift will use an empty pallet to push the loaded one further into a truck or
on a trailer

most places that load stuff wuth a forklift will use an empty pallet to push the loaded one further into a truck or
on a trailer

Good to know! I'll suggest that when I pick up a ton of pellets. Thanks!

Good to know! I'll suggest that when I pick up a ton of pellets. Thanks!

Not going to work . That ramp has to come off for fork lift to load onto trailer.

How far you have to travel is a BIG ???

The little trailer you have spoken of will work fine.

If you can drive on secondary roads and keep the speed Low you can do this really fine.
Another question is, whats the terrain like ?? Lot of hills/steep grades.

If the drive is a moderate one I would not sweat this at all.
How far do you have to drive from the store to home ???

The one thing about driving slow is, if you are holding up traffic you may find yourself being visited by a cop.

Another good idea is to load the bags onto the trailer and spread them out rather than keep them on the "TALL" pallet load.

This will drastically reduce the center of gravity and make things far easier to handle.

Another plan would be to put part of the load in the bed of the S10 and then the rest on the trailer.

Hauling just a ton is really not that big of an issue.

I have hauled two tons in the bed of my 1 ton chevy dually.

A standard pickup bed (1/2 or 3/4 ton) will allow a pallet to slide easily between the inner fenders of the bed.

A good used pickup is easy to find. (well maybe not in your area with all the salt)
I live in Oregon and a 20 PLUS year old Pickup can be found in great shape with no rust really easy.

Good luck Val

Snowy

Reactions: Eatonpcat
I might suggest trailer brakes over 1 ton...

Don't forget you'll need to unload the product if and when you get it home. Are you sure the delivery fee is really too high?????

I purchased a 5x10 trailer from TSC about 4 years ago to transport "stuff". I haul it behind my jeep wrangler or my wifes commander. It is rated for 3500# but the tires are rated for like #2100 each. I have put two tons of pellets on this trailer and hauled it with no problem behind the commander. The trailer is nice because you can purchase them and leave them on the trailer in the garage until you have time to unload them.

Status
Not open for further replies.