1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Hauling It Out With A Sled

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Mr A, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Mr A

Mr A Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N. California
    I have come across a downed oak tree located where there is no vehicle access. Seems like a lot of work considering it has to be hauled about 1/4 mile across soon to be dry meadow grass, to the side of the road where I can throw it in my truck. The tree is about 2 ft. across. I figure it would be about thirty 16 inch rounds to make a cord, and that doesn't seem so bad. Then, I figure I could do one at a time easily, the round would be about two hundred pounds, maybe less since it has been down a while. A quarter mile back and forth would be what, 15 miles? This is but one example of how I plan to feed my addiction to collecting firewood. No pics, it hasn't happened yet. Back to sleep now, and my dreams of easier pickin's.
    ScotO likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    The gym will miss your membership.
    ScotO likes this.
  3. Jon1270

Jon1270 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Have you considered burning the extra food you'd have to eat to do this, instead?
    PapaDave likes this.
  4. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    Brutal.
  5. TimJ

TimJ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeast Indiana
    Hats off to you Mr. A
    I wouldn't doubt that you would even do it if the temps were above 70 degrees
  6. BobUrban

BobUrban Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Michigan
    Can you say, "Henry David Thoreau..." That, my friend, is a commitment!! I am by no means of calling you out or asking for your "man card" - nor am I turning mine in. But, EASILY??? Nope, not at all. Load your sled, wagon, wheel barrel, whatever... with wood and walk it back and fourth across your lawn a few times and then imagine the woods and field - not happening. 200lbs is a ton in ten trips and just beyond the value of any wood for me. I just went and took two aspirin after reading your post.
    Backwoods Savage and Mr A like this.
  7. NortheastAl

NortheastAl Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Putnam, NY
    I'm hurtin' and tired just having read your post, Mr A. That's where I draw the line and pay for my wood. I've done some things that don't quite measure up to financial sanity, but you could actually hurt yourself real bad in the process of scrounging this "score." I'd think twice before embarking upon an enterprise such as this.
  8. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    Yuck.
  9. Mr A

Mr A Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N. California
    I did 3 hauls this morning after an early morning breakfast of a hamburger and fries at Denny's. Hauling a few rounds out was easier than I thought it would be, they're smaller than I originally thought, 16"-18", I didn't measure. The dolly is 12" across. The terrain is fairly flat. It is an over flow area along a creek. I used a hand truck, it hasn't rained in awhile and the ground was fairly firm. It took about an hour to make a few cuts and walk them out. Not a quick or easy score, but a good way to work off a hamburger, and get some free oak, but darn it if that's not some good looking wood.. I should get a donkey to help with this.
    Pics- The trees, the hand truck, and the day's haul.

Attached Files:

Backwoods Savage likes this.
  10. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Mr A. My hat is off to you man. That can be some tough and slow work but you've found a way. I might suggest standing those rounds up rather than laying them down. It might work but it might not. I'd also be very tempted to tie that cart on the back of a lawn mower to pull those logs out. Or perhaps you might know someone with an atv? Geeze, if we were close you could even use our dray but that would be a long way to go because you live many, many miles from us.