Hauling logs in a minivan... ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
TreePapa said:
mackconsult said:
I do this all the time with my sprinter van. Just go by sag/feel of the vehicle when figuring out how much to put in.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Sprinter is basically a full-size van, built for work (even if configured for passengers). The Dodge website lists payloads for the various models -- the lowest listed payload is over 3,000 lbs. Payload for a minivan is gonna be a little less!

Peace,
- Sequoia

All I said is load it and watch how it squats and drives. That applies to a minivan or a sprinter.

don't know what the rental rate on a u-haul or ryder truck would be, Home depot and lowes have stake side trucks (actually the sides fold down) that cost $25 for the first 45 min. they will haul a ton, and have an alarm if you overload them.

I'm sure you have your answer, but I know from direct experience in my Sienna - one third of a cord, heavy, but fine, one half, dicey, wouldn't do it again.

the guys on ax men take logs to the sawmill in a Toyota Fourunner, so you should be fine. Don't forget the bungee cord though, and no sudden stops. (TIC)

Well I did end up doing it - sorry if I forgot to let folks know :) Anyway to help make up for it, here are some pictures. I figure I moved somewhere around 1/3 cord on this trip, perhaps a bit more but it is so hard to really tell with logs like this. Pictures show view from back of van (I had removed one log before I remembered to take pictures, but you get the idea) and from side with one door open...

Then you can see the pile of logs next to the driveway followed by the pile once cut into rounds - was a fun day that day.

Attachments

• CIMG1755.JPG
    CIMG1755.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 324
  • CIMG1757.JPG
    CIMG1757.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 312
  • CIMG1758.JPG
    CIMG1758.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 309
  • CIMG1761.JPG
    CIMG1761.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 319
Hauling in a van scares me. Do you have options?
Borrow a friends truck/trailer?
Split and stack the wood at it's current location, to haul with your truck later? (It will weigh a lot less after it has dried out, too.)
Rent a truck?
If you have to use the van, go to a furniture store and get a few large card board boxes - line your van with them for protection.
More trips with less damage is better than less trips overloaded. I'd go for 4-6 trips.
Happier days will come with the truck! :)

What do you mean. My van is the best truck I have ever owned, and I have had a few.

maplewood said:
Hauling in a van scares me. Do you have options?
Borrow a friends truck/trailer?
Split and stack the wood at it's current location, to haul with your truck later? (It will weigh a lot less after it has dried out, too.)
Rent a truck?
If you have to use the van, go to a furniture store and get a few large card board boxes - line your van with them for protection.
More trips with less damage is better than less trips overloaded. I'd go for 4-6 trips.
Happier days will come with the truck! :)

I have hauled more wood in my 04 Impala then my neighbours pickup.

Some times you have to be quick to score wood on CL and do not have time to borrow someones pickup. I was truly amazed how much I could fit into the IMPALA, used a few tarps in the back seat and trunk to keep things clean.

It took me two trips to get this.

GEDC0643.jpg

Glad to see it worked out for this haul. If you don't end up with a truck put on a hitch and get a trailer the van can handle. Not that you can fit a whole lot more in a small trailer but you don't have to worry about damaging the van or the cleanup.

I was just given 1/2 cord of cut/split/dry (2 yrs.) on my lunch break.
There was a bit more but my Ford Exploder is loaded to the ceiling. LOL
She's squatting pretty good but it's driving okay. I think we'll make it home. :red:

Odd how old threads return to life sometimes eh? Wow, I had forgotten those hauls - and to think I'm actually going to burn some of that wood this winter! (it actually tests out less than 20% in case you are wondering).

Yes I now have a truck - it is nicer if for no other reason than the ease of loading and not having to clean up and replace the seats after hauling. The van did haul a few loads though and I'm thankful to have done it. This next spring I'll be able to respond more quickly to those CL ads and hopefully beef up my piles a bit more if needed (always needed eh?).

Status
Not open for further replies.