Hauling Wood Out with The Rhino

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Today we hauled out all the wood (sugar maple and cherry) I had bucked up which turned out to be four loads plus one cookie delivery to our neighbor, attached are some pictures.

Picture 100_2313 is the first load of sugar maple,2314 is dropping it off,2315 is the first load of cherry,2316 the cookie delivery,2317 the last of the cherry,2329 is part cherry and sugar maple and 2331 is the last load at the drop off.

zap

Attachments

• 100_2313.jpg
    100_2313.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 658
  • 100_2314.jpg
    100_2314.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 667
  • 100_2315.jpg
    100_2315.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 672
  • 100_2316.jpg
    100_2316.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 670
  • 100_2317.jpg
    100_2317.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 649
  • 100_2329.jpg
    100_2329.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 652
  • 100_2331.jpg
    100_2331.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 670
That what I did today also. I got two heaping truck loads from the neighbor that has a tree service. It is really nice when 30% of it is already cut to splitting size. .I didn't get any cookies tho. Nice haul you got there.

Looks like a sweet setup for moving around in the snow. How does the trailer behave?

SolarAndWood said:
Looks like a sweet setup for moving around in the snow. How does the trailer behave?

Some tugging and pulling today when I was coming up some small inclines but I guess that is expected, had some heavy loads for hauling in the snow.

It's a good thing we have the chains on.

zap

wingsfan said:
That what I did today also. I got two heaping truck loads from the neighbor that has a tree service. It is really nice when 30% of it is already cut to splitting size. .I didn't get any cookies tho. Nice haul you got there.

wingsfan, you tell that tree service you want some cookies. What type of wood did you get?

zap

suppose that deer was helping you haul wood there?

ecocavalier02 said:
suppose that deer was helping you haul wood there?

Santa stopped early for some milk and cookies so he let the deer run.

zap

zapny said:
wingsfan said:

wingsfan, you tell that tree service you want some cookies. What type of wood did you get?

zap

I got some nice chunks of red oak and some ash. No to get to splitting and stackin.

Zap -

You didn't "commandeer" Santas' sleigh while her let the deer graze? ;-)

Speaking of sleighs, not enough snow for your modified one, or is it easier with the trailer that deep in?

Merry Christmas,
P.J. + family

PJF1313 said:
Zap -

Speaking of sleighs, not enough snow for your modified one, or is it easier with the trailer that deep in?

Merry Christmas,
P.J. + family

P.J., you might be thinking of quads with the modified one. This is the only trailer I have that will work in the winter in deeper snow.

Merry Christmas

Zap ,

I wonder why not drag those smaller trees uncut - out of the woods? I guess it's nice to be out there bucking and splitting on site?

I would be inclined to just drag those suckers down the path to my processing area. Seems like you have a never ending supply of blow downs and leaners.

Love the snow - but I bet you lose a few til spring.

basswidow said:
Zap ,

I wonder why not drag those smaller trees uncut - out of the woods? I guess it's nice to be out there bucking and splitting on site?

I would be inclined to just drag those suckers down the path to my processing area. Seems like you have a never ending supply of blow downs and leaners.

Love the snow - but I bet you lose a few til spring.

Basswidow,

Last year I skid some cherry out and it worked good, the first picture with the sugar maple it would have been to hard(some twist and turns in the trail) and the cherry I hauled out in the trailer I could have skidded out.

Another reason I buck everything up on spot is I like working the different areas, today in two different areas I was lucky enough to get a quick look at the eagle. Plus the stuff I skidded out last winter was still there this fall(log length)never again.

This is the eagle that was in a tree by the brook that runs through our property in April, maybe the same guy I saw today.

Merry Christmas
Zap

Attachments

• 100_0712.jpg
    100_0712.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 556
loon said:
sure does look like a great way to spend Christmas eve day ;-)

loon

Sure was loon.

Merry Christmas

Zap

Nice Haul it looks great! I wish I had spent the day hauling wood instead of 10 hours replacing the water pump in my Jeep today.

zapny said:
PJF1313 said:
Zap -

Merry Christmas,
P.J. + family

P.J., you might be thinking of quads with the modified one. This is the only trailer I have that will work in the winter in deeper snow.

Merry Christmas

Oops, brain fart :sick:

Have a Merry one, and enjoy the cookies!

PJ

Pagey said:
Wait, zap is heating with wood now?

Pagey, have you received snow yet?

zap

:lol:

Zap, I have to tell you I went to cut wood again today but things did not go well. I have a clump of ash that needs to come down but not one can come down without hanging up somehow. Because there is someone coming in to cut some of it I thought I might help by taking one particular tree down and then the rest would not be quite so bad. It hung worse than I thought it would. I quit and did like you. Delivered some cookies. Some of those also went into my belly.

Backwoods Savage said:
Zap, I have to tell you I went to cut wood again today but things did not go well. I have a clump of ash that needs to come down but not one can come down without hanging up somehow. Because there is someone coming in to cut some of it I thought I might help by taking one particular tree down and then the rest would not be quite so bad. It hung worse than I thought it would. I quit and did like you. Delivered some cookies. Some of those also went into my belly.

Dennis can you winch it down or is it to dangerous? I've been eating to many cookies but its that time of year.

Merry Christmas
Zap

Zap, it is too big to winch down. I did winch it off the stump but also found the ground is not frozen under that snow. Needless to say, it sort of dug right in. Also can not pull it straight away from the lean because of a couple of big roots are in the way. So, I'll chain it to another tree or two while blocking it from the bottom. When it gets short enough it will come down. Of course I could picture some dummy wanting to cut the tree it is against..... Not me.

Backwoods Savage said:
Of course I could picture some dummy wanting to cut the tree it is against..... Not me.

Where is your sense of adventure!? j/k Sounds like it could be the perfect "here, hold my beer moment"! :lol:

Be safe with that one Dennis, it can be tough escaping cleanly with snow hiding the tripping hazards.

You did it again Zap, great pictures. I love the one with the deer in the backround....it doesn't get any better than that! By the way, is your ATV trailer made by Agrifab? My son works for that company and it is right here in Central IL. I am pretty sure I recognize the trailer as one of theirs.

Status
Not open for further replies.