have a few questions for yall!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

welderwill85

Jan 11, 2016
Virginia
First off in glad to be here seems to be alot of wonderful ppl here willing to help! My first question is about a chimney brush size... The inside of my clay flue liner measures 11 3/4" x 10 3/4" inside... Any ideas what size brush would be appropriate for this size?

The next problems have ran into is a cracked thimble.. its 8" and roughly 18" long about 4" of that sticks out past the masonry wall.. it has 2 hairline cracks one one at about 3 o'clock and one at about 11 o'clock... They really only show up when i get a good hot fire going and the 6to 8 reducer expands in there... I would love to get some ideas on how to sleeve this down to a piece of ss 6" pipe... Really dont want to completely tear it out and install a new one but if thats the safest option i'll deff do it... Ill post pics of my set up soon.. Thanks for any help you may have!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
so you have a 6" stove going into an 8" thimble going into an 11 by 11 flue? I would say line the chimney and dont worry about the crock

Yep Thats pretty much it... Flue is in great shape are you saying i should line the entire thing? Or just the thimble?
Yes that flue is way to big regardless of condition. Have you had it scaned to check the condition?

Thoroughly clean the chimney, then line it with a 6" stainless steel liner. The stove will perform best when the draft is good. The best way to achieve this is to keep the same size pipe as the stove flue collar requires all the way to the cap.

What stove is this for?

20160110_200400.jpg
this is the set up i have rite now

Havent had any trouble out of my stove... Just use it to help warm my basment when its really cold out... My questions were about the brush and sleeving my thimble!

The tighter the brush the better it will clean the flue. There are so many size brushes available, I would go with something like a 11"x11". You may have to take some time and trim some bristles though. As far as repairing the thimble, you could wrap a section of stainless steel stove pipe with some ceramic insulation and mortar that into your existing thimble. I do agree with everyone else about lining the chimney with a stainless steel chimney liner. The area of the flue should never be more than 3 times the area of the exhaust collar of the stove. You would still be able to utilize your clean out. A tee connection that will be used for the installation has a removable clean out cap that can be left off if the manufacturer installation instructions do not require a tee cap.

Last edited:
A tee connection that will be used for the installation has a removable clean out cap that can be left off.
That is not the correct way to do it at all. If you want to use a clean out you need to extend that liner down to the cleanout and mortar it is we typically use a second tee at the bottom. But just an open bottom tee is absolutely wrong and should not be done. Is this what your tech support guys recommend? You should also insulate that liner

+1. A few weeks back we had a fellow that had major creosote buildup in the liner tee after just a few fires. Problem turned out to be no cap on the tee which allowed the flue to suck in large amounts of cooling air at the base of the tee. This cooled the flue gases down to condensation point just a few feet after exiting the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.