Have a summers heat 55shp-10 pellet stove with E-3 error.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wentreefgirl

Nov 14, 2009
connecticut
Started happening a couple of weeks ago randomly. Now more frequently. I went to troubleshooting. Cleaned all inside including the vacuum switch on inside of stove. Cleaned exhaust motor. Cleaned combustion fan. Took out many dust bunnys there. Right after all this, turned on. Worked for an hour and boom. Off e-3. My pellets are different from a week ago but was happening with the other pellets before too. My settings are 3-2-1. Also noticed that it said should be run in d mode. How can I tell if im in d or c mode? Any other suggestions. The flames are running intermittant high then normal.

To check mode: unplug stove,plug back in and quickly press the blower speed up and down arrows together at the same time .Release, and a letter will appear in the heat range window. The exhaust motor and combustion motor are different terms for the same thing. Facing the stove, the exhaust/combustion motor is on the left side. The convection/room blower is on the right side....The convection/room blower is where you had dust bunnies. Did you clean the combustion/exhaust motor? It usually needs a new gasket after removal...What brand of pellets are you burning? One forum member was plagued by "overheats" in a PDVC when using a particular brand. What are the heat range and blower set on when you are having the E-3 occur?

E-3 happening in 3-2-1. Cleaned both blowers. One on left and one on right. I was using pure fire premium and now using instant heat premium. I sure hope its not that cause i have a half a ton of them.

Ok, again, what was the heat range and blower set on. 3-2-1 is a master setting that effects things on heat range 1&2.. A "3-2-1" setting I would personally only use when I want the stove to sip pellets (in warmer shoulder season weather). With some brands of pellets my stove would tend to go out because of the low pellet feed on that setting...An E-3 generally is an overheating code. If you are operating with the heat range higher than the blower speed it can code E-3, hence my reason for asking.

Yesterday it E-3 on 4 and 4. If 3-2-1 is sipping then something is wrong here because you should see the fire height with that level. Its not coming out slowly like your saying.I set it to 4-4-1 today just to see if there is a difference. besides the high flame, it didnt e-3 yet. If its below 20 degrees it usually runs on 6 and 6.

When you say you "Cleaned exhaust motor. Cleaned combustion fan.", do you mean you removed the comb. blower motor from the stove and cleaned the motor and the fan blades of all ash & carbon?

Have you removed the convection blower/fan unit from the stove & cleaned the convection fan blades, and not just the motor?

Have you cleaned all the hidden ash out of the ash traps?

Have you ever used a leaf blower on the stove?

By increasing the LBA from 2 to 4, you've increased the comb. blower speed and are removing more heat from the stove through the exhaust, but if the stove isn't clean inside, the built-up ash can act like an insulator and help overheat the stove.

I would not run the LBA any lower than 4, and you might consider raising it to 5.

Yes, its a tedious job but i do remove them from the machine and clean all the blades, all dust bunnies. Can of air is also my best friend. I also when i do the exhaust blower reach in with a brush and clean all i can reach inside the machine. I cant stand doing the convection blower cause its so hard to put back. need a better idea to a different easier to get place for that one. I haven done the trap or pipe. Weather has been bad outside but may try tomorrow. Never done the leave blower but might try that one tomorrow too. I vacuum the inside every other day and a good cleaning every 2 weeks. Define lba?

.....Define lba?
On your lower 3 button settings....the LBA is Low Burn Air.

On your stove, since you didn't say how old it is, changing the LBA setting may only affect the lower heat settings, but since you did seem to think that it helped when you changed from 3-2-1 to 4-4-1, keep it there for now. Cleaning the rest of the stove may help things along.

BTW, the factory settings for this model are 4-6-1, I think. You might try those too. The "6" setting will help pull heat out of the stove even more than 4-4-1.

check mode setting, im betting its in A mode, needs to be reset into "d" mode.

to do this stove must be shuit down and unplugged.
first step is to plug stove in and very quickly reach over and press BOTH the "low fuel feed" AND the "air on temp" buttons (2 fingers) and release. the mode setting will appear in the heat range readout, use the heat range arrow down to change the mode fro A to d.

this will solve your E-3 issue

Status
Not open for further replies.