Have a Superior KC 43 ZC fireplace. Simplest replacement options?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

par38lamp

Oct 24, 2006
St. Louis, Missouri (MO)
Hello,

Just discovered this site a week ago. Can't leave! It's 12:14 AM, I am freezing, and here I type with cold hands...:)

I am looking for the most direct upgrade to this inefficient fireplace. Model is a Superior (Lennox?) KC 43. It has the standard metal chimney pipe, presumably double walled, approx 9" I.D. (with tape measure). House was built in 93. Fireplace sits on an outside wall.

Goal is to supplement current gas forced air furnace at night with a wood burner. House is a 2200 sq. ft 2 story.

From lurking, I have the worst of all worlds. Small ZC fireplace on an outside wall.

I want to use an insert and a drop in 6" SS liner. Only problem is I can't seem to find an insert that will fit. From what I can measure without removing anything, I have 21.5" height (at best) to work with. That is my limiting dimension.

Jotul 450 is too big (locally sold-Arnold Stove and Fireplace, St. Louis, MO). Napoleon 1100 insert might fit, and is sold locally (Victorian sales). I am getting lost in looking for one that might fit. Thought I would ask here if anyone has successfully installed an insert in this ZC fireplace.

Local sales isn't necessary. I have access to my company's loading dock/forklift.

I am looking for efficiency over looks, and non-cat vs. cat if possible (just the way I feel).

If my options are limited or don't exist, I really don't want to go the way of a new fireplace set-up. I would rather rip it out and go with a free-standing stove (wood). Even if I have to sit it in the room and pipe up->90* into wall->T up into new type A chimney (or alcove where old ZC sat). Unless that would be more expensive than a new efficient fireplace and the work it would take.

I am looking to do this myself, as I am quite handy (not gloating), and my friendly neighbor, even more so (owns and installs home HVAC for a living).

Many thanks to all! Wonderful site!

Attachments

• P1000619.JPG
    P1000619.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 1,216
Give us a bit, you have options. 3nickles has a similar question on another thread.

But in the meantime, stop feeding the fireplace Bavarian Donut filling. That stuff is too combustible! :)

PS: Nice job on the faux finish walls. Did you do it yourself?

LOL-took me a second on the donut filling. That bucket is my ash can from LAST years burning (so I know the ashes were cold!). In-laws had a bunch of those buckets to give away.

I wish I could take credit on the walls. They were like that when we moved in 1.5 years ago. You aren't the first to compliment me on them. Many thanks. And thanks for the encouragement on my options. I will dutifully stand by!

Well, I don't know about inserts. I will leave that up to the experts. There are a couple people on the boards who have installed inserts into their ZC's. But I feel your pain about ZC's. I had a ZC in my place. There was no way I could fit an insert into it, so I had 2 choices.

1) I could replace the ZC with a higher efficiency fireplaces, like those from FireplaceXtrordinare. They have several models that are quite nice and maintain that "Fireplace" look. Based on the size of your place, I would look at the FPX44. Very nice unit. http://www.fireplacextrordinair.com/

2) I could rip out the entire setup and install a wood stove.

I opted for #2, for the simple reason that the FPX fireplaces would not fit where I wanted to put it. My ZC was installed on an inside wall on an angle. I ripped it out and converted the space to an alcove. I made the decision to replace my entire chimney system. The old one was 8 in. ID and was double walled (13" OD). I had them install Class A double walled piping from stove to cap. You may just get away with lining your existing chimney and that will save some money.

I'm almost finished with my cleanup work on the install, but you can see a picture of the setup in my signature.

Definitely stick around here and get opinions and questions answered. You will pleasantly surprised by the knowledge that hangs around these forums :)

*EDIT*

Link to Warrens Osburn install into a Majestic ZC: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/98/

Link to my install of a HearthStone Heritage, replacing ZC: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/1837/

Sorry, have no time this morning. Keep looking! You will find an insert that will fit (see my signature). I have also posted a review recently in the "reviews" section.

Keep searching on all available websites and search engines, get dimensions, and finally make sure about the location of the flu on the insert and the zc fireplace. That is critical. I had the exact same setup as you. While my insert is not the prettiest, it's not the ugliest either, and it fit like it ws made for my zc box. Sorry, gotta go to work, KD

As nice as your setup looks you have potential clearance to combustiable issies possibly floor thermoductivity issues of a stove placement in front of the loading door
I think that stone is just sitting on the wood sub floor and probably does not have any thermo conductivity to the wood sub floor under neath

Travis industries makes a smaller insets either Lopi or Avalon

If luckey with that superior and you have it vented with a class A ht 2100 chinmey and it being 8" or less it can be used witha direct connect. Naturally a full liner is better

Likr KD work is calling

DonCT,

Your installation is what gave me hope if an insert will not work. I have the typical "fireplace chimney that runs up the outside of the house, covered in vinyl siding", so going "bigger" isn't in really an option without major rework of the exterior. I read your install post and the great pictures you took.

KD460,

The Enviro 1100 looks like it just might work! Plus a dealer is located in Rolla, MO, home of my alma mater (UMR), for what that is worth (LOL).

Elkimmeg,

Yeah, the floor clearance is what I am concerned about. It is marble (I think) sitting right on the sub-floor. Somewhere I read marble has good thermal conductivity (not good for me). I am envisioning a 1" durarock with tile to lay directly in front of the insert, shimmed as necessary for the drop off.

Thanks for you suggestions so far. I have read 3nickles posts.

Yes, there are so many options out there. Like I said, if you want to keep the "Fireplace" look there are manufactures out there that make some great units. I can only give an opinion on the FPX line since they're the only ones I've seen at the dealers here.

Building my alcove wasn't all that hard. It did take some thinking and laying out, but luckily I had the great group here at Hearth.com to help me out. If your enclosure is the full height of the wall, it should be a piece of cake to pull out your ZC and open the wall to an alcove. There are many options for hearth protection. I build a raised hearth because I like the look, but alot of people just build thinner pads. There are several threads on the board regarding hearth pads.

As Elk pointed out, just pay attention to your clearances to combustibles. We don't want you burning down your lovely house!!!!

If possible, can you take some pictures of your chimney set up? I'm interested to see how it's chased. Plus I just like pictures ;)

And now that I look at it, your mantel and surround is the exact same as I had around my ZC. Your's is just painted white :)

Remember that certain parts such as front metal smoke shield and glass door tracks can be removed. In the past, some insert manuafacturer even showed possible removal of side and read refractory - maybe even bottom, so study manual.

A pre-fab approved small insert will obviously go in quicker and for less $$.

But if this is the place you are going to be for 10-20 years or more, the entire rip-out job might be a project you could handle. There are a LOT of nice built-in stoves - everything from BIS to RSF to Travis, etc. etc. - One that fits easily into the existing framing is nice.

1993 pre-fab chimney should probably be relined to the top with 6" as most were testing to lower temps back then, and the pipe has already seen a lot of years go by.

Status
Not open for further replies.