Have damper problem on Whitfield Quest Plus

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ro3bert

Dec 4, 2010
New Fairfield, CT
I have a Whitfield Quest Plus that has been running nicely for the last ten years. I clean it every morning before firing up. I clean the whole thing once a year before the cold season and one year had the service people clean it for me.

There is one small problem that seems to be getting worse each year. The damper was set by the installers but each year the damper ring is getting further from the side of the stove. When the service guys worked on it they said they had no idea how the damper area could be cleaned since it is in the inside not the one that slides in near one of the motors.

I know the ash is collecting in the damper area but have no idea how it may be removed.

The owner’s manual is of no help since other than explaining how to adjust it there are no other references to it.
I have been a little more than reluctant to start taking the stove apart (not because I would not be able to remember where things go) for the time it would take, the dust/ashes on the inside and not knowing if it is even possible to get to that area.
Does anyone know how to get to the damper area to clean it out?

Thanks

PS I’m new to this forum so please treat me gently.

Robert

Ro3bert, welcome to the forum. There are a few of the Whitfield stoves being burned by forum members, so you may get answer....I personally can't help except to suggest this: clean as much of the stove as you can (like your "end of the winter" cleaning), and then try the leaf-blower trick as described by the person who brought it to our attention on the forum, Krooser:

www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/29847/

It gets most all of the "hidden" ash.

Ro3bert said:
I have a Whitfield Quest Plus that has been running nicely for the last ten years. I clean it every morning before firing up. I clean the whole thing once a year before the cold season and one year had the service people clean it for me.

There is one small problem that seems to be getting worse each year. The damper was set by the installers but each year the damper ring is getting further from the side of the stove. When the service guys worked on it they said they had no idea how the damper area could be cleaned since it is in the inside not the one that slides in near one of the motors.

I know the ash is collecting in the damper area but have no idea how it may be removed.

The owner’s manual is of no help since other than explaining how to adjust it there are no other references to it.
I have been a little more than reluctant to start taking the stove apart (not because I would not be able to remember where things go) for the time it would take, the dust/ashes on the inside and not knowing if it is even possible to get to that area.
Does anyone know how to get to the damper area to clean it out?

Thanks

PS I’m new to this forum so please treat me gently.

Robert

Welcome to the forum Robert, I'm a big bad forum member and I never give the newbies a break.

The "damper area" has two ways to be gotten to, one is from the air intake and the other is from the burn pot. Now one just might be able to use a vacuum cleaner to remove any dust bunnies from the intake. And a smaller hose attached to a vacuum cleaner to go in through the air port in the burn pot area. There are several Whitfield burners on the forum and I sure that one of then will be along shortly to help. There will likely be very little ash around the damper when accessing it from the air intake, and perhaps a bit when accessing it from the burn pot area.

Thanks guys

I'll see what happens with your suggestions. The burner pot is removable in this stove and the combustion air comes up via the ash drawer and the exhaust goes up and out the heat exchanger tubes. Guess I'll have to take the ash drawer out and look inside to see if I can see anything. However if the stove works like any other burner the damper is on the exhaust side and since the heat exchanger tubes are only about 1 to 1-1/2 inches in dia. it is unlikely I'd be able to get any vaccim hose down them.

If all else fails I guess I'll have to take the whole thing apart next spring to see if I can get to the damper.

I suppose it is possible to get to the damper through the exhaust pipe but that will require removing it but I don't really wnat to do that either as it is all put together with heat tollerant sealant that I don't have.

I'll re-visit this subject next year when we don't need it any more.

Robert L. Wichmann

Ro3bert said:
Thanks guys

I'll see what happens with your suggestions. The burner pot is removable in this stove and the combustion air comes up via the ash drawer and the exhaust goes up and out the heat exchanger tubes. Guess I'll have to take the ash drawer out and look inside to see if I can see anything. However if the stove works like any other burner the damper is on the exhaust side and since the heat exchanger tubes are only about 1 to 1-1/2 inches in dia. it is unlikely I'd be able to get any vaccim hose down them.

If all else fails I guess I'll have to take the whole thing apart next spring to see if I can get to the damper.

I suppose it is possible to get to the damper through the exhaust pipe but that will require removing it but I don't really wnat to do that either as it is all put together with heat tollerant sealant that I don't have.

I'll re-visit this subject next year when we don't need it any more.

Robert L. Wichmann

Dampers are never on the exhaust side on pellet stoves, alway the air intake side.

Thanks SmokeyTheBear

I was not aware of that, just going by other types of fire places and oil furnaces.

Robert L. Wichmann

Status
Not open for further replies.