Have I become a "wood snob"?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slow1

Minister of Fire
Nov 26, 2008
Eastern MA
I answered a CL ad that listed 1.5 cord of oak for sale (cut down this week etc...). Sounded like a decent deal so I went by after work.

Of course it wasn't as much as they thought it was - but it was worse than I had expected. The pile was lined up pretty long - 21' long row of rounds with all the sticks piled up in the mix as well. Homeowners proud of the sticks "lots of good stuff to get it going for you!". At any rate I estimate the pile to be about .5-.75 cord. I made them an offer about 1/2 of their asking since it wasn't as much wood as they advertised. I didn't argue the amount - just said it didn't look like 1.5 cord, no point in getting too specific eh? So as you would expect it was no deal and I walked on it.

I got to thinking on the way home about how the rounds were all different lengths - whoever cut it down clearly didn't care about how it was going to be used/burned. They varied from 10" to 20+" so if I did have the pile I would be having to do some trimming of the longer pieces so I got to thinking that even if they accepted my offer perhaps it wouldn't have been such a good deal afterall - too much work to do all that trimming and then have to stack the odd length splits. I've rather become used to cutting my own logs and having them be within an inch or so of the same length which makes for nice stacks, you know? Figured if it was free I'd take it of course, and if it was still in full log length perhaps I'd be willing to pay, but as it is cut it is worth less than if I could cut the rounds myself.

So... have I crossed over some mental line? I know a year ago I probably would have almost paid their asking price just to get any wood and not even questioned the way it was cut. How things change I suppose. Maybe I'm about to lose my scrounger's license...

Then again on the way to work this morning I got lucky and picked up a small pile of mystery wood on the side of the road :) perhaps 2-3 days worth of burning. REALLY heavy green wood with smooth green bark. May have to take a picture and post it for help on ID - no leaves on it. All sorts of lengths but free is free and that's good for me.

When I first started scronging I would answer some craglist adds. but now just by word of mouth, I can cut till the day I dye and never finnish. Normally I will get one place close to home and be there for spring and fall cutting. The trees around here are out of control 60-90+ years old on small lots.

Slow1 said:
All sorts of lengths but free is free and that's good for me.

As long as you abide by the Scrounger's mantra, I'd say you are on the right side of the line. Most of the stuff I get is all over the place in length as well. Part of the deal of not paying for and not having to drop or buck the majority of your wood. I must confess that I do envy those here with their log loads while I am splitting 6 inch cookies.

If you have to pay for it, then it is OK for a scrounger to be picky. If it is free and you turn it down, then you have become a wood snob. Sounds like that hasn't happened, so you're still fine.

Nope!! Just older & wiser!

I was darn glad to get any kind O' wood that I could fit in the stove the first Winter.

Now after the Emerald Ash Bore has been though the area I haven't hauled wood more than a couple miles in a year. I pass on nasty crotch pieces also that I used to cookie. They slow production and don't stack well. I'm still about 3 seasons ahead so it seems to be working out OK.

You folks in the East start taking notice of local stands of Ash. It's sad, but they don't last but a couple years after the first little "D" shaped holes start appearing in the bark.

Sounds like they wanted you to pay for a pile of free wood. They probably paid to have the tree cut down, but didn't want to pay for removal of the wood. They don't realiize that you would be dooing them a favor if you took it for free. Unprocessed wood is a waste product, especially if it is in assorted long and short lengths. People who don't burn don't understand the labor involved in heating with wood.
Being a year plus ahead, I won't pay for wood or take anything for free that will make more work for me. I may have become a wood snob, but I would rather pass on the less desirable wood and save room for when the good stuff comes available. My time and space is limited. I can't take everything.

Slow, yes, I'd say you have crossed over a mighty big line. You will be crossing more over the years too. When you are a new wood burner, wood looks like wood. It is sort of like the guy who drives down the road or walks through a woods and sees trees. Another fellow walks through that same woods and sees maple, oak, beech, popple, etc., etc. Or what about the guy who sees pine trees. Others see white pine, red pine, scotch pine, etc., etc. It is all a part of learning and maturing. You, my friend, are doing just fine.

Wood Duck said:
If you have to pay for it, then it is OK for a scrounger to be picky. If it is free and you turn it down, then you have become a wood snob. Sounds like that hasn't happened, so you're still fine.

+1 . . . and as mentioned . . . sounds like it was cut down by a tree service or the home owner . . . and now he's hoping to make some money on the deal or help offset the cost of having the tree cut down.

Status
Not open for further replies.