Have I been missing something good?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tiswood

Sep 9, 2015
Delaware
Im a long time wood burner and so is my father. My old all nighters door had a crack in the area that holds the wood off the air vents so I bought a DS160 last spring. I have been burning wood mainly oak on and off since temps got around 50 at night. I purchased 2 ton of nut coal to try since this stove burns both. Plus I'm looking for long burn times as poss with my job. ( I work 16 hrs on 8 off certain weeks). I have been pretty happy with the wood burning but still needed to load heavy 2x a day and a small load in the middle some days. Well I started a coal fire yesterday on top of a good bed of wood coals that took pretty fast. I had to read about coal because I'm new with burning it. It's been going for about 24 hrs now and all I did was shake it 1x and add some I top of the coals. This stuff burns long and hot. I have temp turned all the way down and it's still about 80 upstairs lol ( made it up to about 50 today and mid 39s at night) I like the constant heat its staying. Also it looks like I can get away with tending it 1x a day. This just seems to easy. Just a bucket of coal per day and I think I will have all the heat we need. It's also heating the dhw . I have had the elect off to it for about 2 weeks now. Have many of you tried coal? If so what is your thoughts on it? I may start just using wood for shoulder season burns and go to coal when it gets cold. I feel like I have been missing out all these years.

Id like to find a good local source here to get some and try it.

If you have a combo stove I would highly recommend it . I'm tending it 1x a day and the heat is a constant temp. I like the fact I can rest assure that after working a 16 hr shift my fire is still going and the house is warm. You may be able to get bagged coal at tractor supply? Might have to order it. I can order bulk ( cheaper about $230 ton) equivalent to 2-cords of wood . Or bagged about $299 ton.

I see tractor supply near me has bagged rice, and nut coal. 299 a ton plus tax. I can buy wood at 120 a cord no tax, For white ash so wouldn't be saving anything versus buying wood. If I could buy at 230 a ton for bulk then I might actually save a little versus buying wood. I will probably buy a bag just for fun. would the nut or rice work better ? I'm guessing the nut...

I switched from wood to coal several years ago, for a few reasons, and wouldn't go back... No creosote, longer burn times, etc... Definitely recommend it, especially if you're buying your firewood, as I was...

I switched from wood to coal several years ago, for a few reasons, and wouldn't go back... No creosote, longer burn times, etc... Definitely recommend it, especially if you're buying your firewood, as I was...

I don't need long burn times as I have storage and a slightly over sized boiler. I also don't have creosote because I have a Gasser with storage that never idles.

Status
Not open for further replies.