Have I done an overnight burn?????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodchip

Minister of Fire
Dec 6, 2010
Broadstone England
It was forecast to get down to 23f last night, and I put a couple of bits of oak to see if it were easy to do an overnight burn.

I came down this morning, and it looked as if the fire had gone out.

On closer inspection, there were some hot coals in the ashes, so I put on somepaper, kindling, and a couple of small hawthorn splits.

Opening the ashpan door to empty the ashpan was all it took to get the paper lit

By the time the ashpan was back in, the wood was alight again.

Can I claim an overnight burn, on the basis of not needing to use a match to relight the fire?

Or is this claim a bit dubious........... ;-)

The fluepipe temp was 400 last night, and 150 this morning.

Inside temp 72f at 6am, outside was 23f and dropping.

woodchip said:
It was forecast to get down to 23f last night, and I put a couple of bits of oak to see if it were easy to do an overnight burn.

I came down this morning, and it looked as if the fire had gone out.

On closer inspection, there were some hot coals in the ashes, so I put on somepaper, kindling, and a couple of small hawthorn splits.

Opening the ashpan door to empty the ashpan was all it took to get the paper lit

By the time the ashpan was back in, the wood was alight again.

Can I claim an overnight burn, on the basis of not needing to use a match to relight the fire?

Or is this claim a bit dubious........... ;-)

The fluepipe temp was 400 last night, and 150 this morning.

Inside temp 72f at 6am, outside was 23f and dropping.

Looks good to me. I stuff mine full, and have plenty of coals for a reload in the morning. If it does it's job, and the house is warm, you did well.

Sounds to me like a winner.

The other thing you can do is what I do- not sleep very long :) Went to sleep at midnight, up at 6, had PLENTY of coals to restart the fire this morning :)

Overnight doesn't mean a flame all night in newer stoves. If you have hot coals then it was putting out heat all night which means OVERNIGHTER WOOT :lol:

Pete

That's what I'd call an over night burn.Nice feeling isn't it? :)

Yes I would call that an overnight burn.. When stove shopping that was one of my requirements that it had to be at least an 8 hr. burn so I can run 24/7 when needed..

Ray

My definition of an overnight burn is enough coals to reload regular sized splits and not have to use paper and kindling. So to me I'd say no, that's not an overnght burn.

You did it chip. Maybe Bart can print you up a shirt. It can say "I did it all night long" with an image of a burning fire through the stove window below it.

If you were able to successfully rekindle a fire in the morning without the aid of an external source of ignition, you win. Well, that's my definition, anyways.

Overnight burns are kinda like those first few kisses from that girl you've fallen head-over-heels for. They come in different flavors, different stages. They're all good.

The big ole wet kiss is when you get up after sleeping as long as you like and don't add ANY wood. You just dial up the t-stat a spot or two and go get your coffee...

I call that an overnight burn. No match or lighter was used to re-fire it. Still doubtful? The stove kept giving heat enough that at 6: AM, the house was 72 f..... Will need pics of your new t-shirt.

Woodchip, you did well. For comparison, last night at 7:30 I put 4 splits in the stove. Outside temperature was 22 or 24; don't remember for sure. Forecast low was 15 and it was 14 when I got up this morning. Naturally with only 4 splits there would be no fire left. However, the house was still warm and I laid 4 pieces of kindling on the coals and 3 splits. Very soon the stovetop was well over 500 and flue at 350. I don't know the indoor temperature because we don't have a thermometer inside (aiming to get one though) but I just have a t-shirt on top and have been comfortable all morning.

Brilliant, I was secretly (or not so secretly) hoping for a yes for my first attempt!!!!!

Now, my aim is to get better, and make overnight burns an ordinary event.......

Without late nights or early mornings......... ;-)

Loaded at 1 AM, reloaded at 3:00 PM.
Works for me

My own definition of an overnight burn is more akin to what Todd described -- something that can ignite relatively quickly with regular splits and the hot coals without resorting to newspaper and/or kindling (although I often throw a couple sticks of kindling on to the hot coals to get things going more quickly.) However, I also subscribe to Jager's statement -- different days, different ideas.

Todd said:
My definition of an overnight burn is enough coals to reload regular sized splits and not have to use paper and kindling. So to me I'd say no, that's not an overnght burn.
Haha, That is what I was thinking also. I don't consider it an overnight burn if I have to use kindling as I want to come downstairs to a decent coal bed stuff it full of regular sized splits and be shutting it down in stages in 15 minutes or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.