Have seen this tree many times, sure would like it.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bspring

Feeling the Heat
Aug 3, 2007
Greenville, SC
My wife and I take our RZR to Brimstone OHV park in Huntsville, TN several times a year. I always have to slow down to check this tree out. It has a straight trunk that goes for ever with no branches. I don't know what it is because I don't have any trees like that on my land but it always gets my attention. Can you guys tell me what it is from this picture. BTW, my wife is 6' tall.

Attachments

• PA060076.JPG
    PA060076.JPG
    214.4 KB · Views: 264
Not sure from photo, but I see a lot of beech characteristics.

Um ... Its a very BIG one.. Lol;lol I could'nt resist .

Not sure from photo, but I see a lot of beech characteristics.

There are some beech characteristics and there are beech trees around but the ones that I am used to seeing have very smooth bark. This one has bumps all over the bark.

Beech trees as the get older will develop bumps from scaring over small sucker limbs.
The gray bands around the bark would make me lean towards beech as well.

I'll have to get some pics of the monster beech trees in creek bottoms in nat'l forest behind my house.

The big cats paw at the base could have been why it wasn't cut last time the land was harvested, or if it is in a wetland creek bottom.

I think the leaf in the foreground of the pic is beech, one mature tree like that would create its own grove of sapplings

Look at the trees in the vicinity when the leaves are on. Usually you will see a grove of the same species. Especially one with age to it.

Looks like a beech tree and a nice one.

If that is beech, wow! Most beech around here don't grow that straight or limbless.

If that is beech, wow! Most beech around here don't grow that straight or limbless.

They do around here one fell back last year on some one's land that big. It is still laying there in the same spot.

That wood give you some serious BTUs Bspring. Cool pick. Put the wife to work. Tell her you will cut it up and she can haul it out to the truck.

They do around here one fell back last year on some one's land that big. It is still laying there in the same spot.

Oh how I wish we had those.

Reactions: corey21
Sycamore or White Oak.

I wondered if it could be a tulip tree. Agree, look at what is around.

I had a beautiful, healthy, straight 32 inch diameter beech NEXT to the hydro line (main hydro cuts across all the properties adjacent to the lake). Hydro put through in 1975. In their great wisdom when they were clearing the line a few years ago when I wasn't home they decided to cut this tree. Talk about being furious....I couldn't put the tree back up, so milled it. My beech are all straight, without low branches.

Status
Not open for further replies.