Have to cut a roof beam.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Magus said:
Well I took some measurements last night and this is what I found.

That doble wall pipe is gawd awful expensive.

And worth every penny!

I too investigated single versus double wall stove pipe, initially intending to go single for more heat and less cost. But, despite my frugal nature, I decided it was not the place to go for the cheaper solution.

A modern stove heats through the stove, not the stove pipe, and needs its cooler exhaust gasses kept as warm as possible to improve draft (stove performance) and keep the chimney clean (improving performance and prevent house-threatening chimney fires). In addition, it is safer and lasts longer.

It's a matter of one's own priorities, but for those who value stove performance and safety, double wall is the better path.

RenovationGeorge said:
Magus said:
Well I took some measurements last night and this is what I found.

That doble wall pipe is gawd awful expensive.

And worth every penny!

I too investigated single versus double wall stove pipe, initially intending to go single for more heat and less cost. But, despite my frugal nature, I decided it was not the place to go for the cheaper solution.

A modern stove heats through the stove, not the stove pipe, and needs its cooler exhaust gasses kept as warm as possible to improve draft (stove performance) and keep the chimney clean (improving performance and prevent house-threatening chimney fires). In addition, it is safer and lasts longer.

It's a matter of one's own priorities, but for those who value stove performance and safety, double wall is the better path.

That makes sense.

I believe I have figured it out. Instead of going backward..toward the wall which will reduce the clearance needed. I will angle the stove pipe forward a joist. This way I can keep the single wall stove pipe...up until I get to the Class A pipe going through the roof. And I can stay away from the wall. //now...I just need to figure out if I need to go with two 45's or two 15's to get the correct angle. ...also should the angle be toward the stove or toward the ceiling?

Status
Not open for further replies.