Have to stack wood high for secondary

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

guest5234

I have a jotul f250 as shown on my avator, the secondary air holes are near the top of my firebox at the back, I have found out that to get the secondary flames shooting out of the holes I have to actually have to have flames passing the holes I have to pile the wood about and inch under the holes to get them to work and it needs actual flames and not just heat to get my secondary burn...is this normal ?

Yes, I've notice this too on my stove. It almost seems like heat is being lost in the
distance the flame has to travel to get up to the burn tubes.

Makes me want to do some experimenting........

I've seen mine shoot down pretty far. At least 3-4 inches. Maybe your combustion chamber needs to be hotter? How soon are you looking for them after lightoff?

Matt

Very different than the Jotul Oslo. I had secondaries with the break-in burns that used only a handful of kindling or 1-or-2 small splits.

I don't have your stove but will add this little bit. I think it is a function of how hot the stove is, how high you pile the wood, the kind/quality of the wood and then lastly - your stove. I think when you play around for a season or two you will find the same to be true.

In my stoves, the temp of the stove is most important for the secondary burn.

George

Status
Not open for further replies.