Have Ya' Got Sweaty Bags :)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MarkF48

Feeling the Heat
Nov 14, 2011
Central MA
Restacked 2 tons of pellets from their outside pallets last November into an unheated barn. The outsides of the bags were dry and the November air was dry as well when brought inside. As I've been using the bags lately I've noticed as I pull the bags off the piles it has noticeable wetness on the side that's been adjacent to the bag below it. Not sure where the dampness is originating from. The interior of the barn is dry. None of the pellets within the bags have exhibited any dampness. As most bags that I'm aware of, the bags do have 'pinholes' so they don't hold air. Could the pellets have a residual moisture that's passing through the pinholes and condensing between the bags? I don't recall this from previous years of ever occurring..

The last time I noticed a wetness on the pellet bags I thought uh, oh! Then I recognized the smell of cat pee, LOL!

Last edited:
Reactions: Deezl Smoke
Restacked 2 tons of pellets from their outside pallets last November into an unheated barn. The outsides of the bags were dry and the November air was dry as well when brought inside. As I've been using the bags lately I've noticed as I pull the bags off the piles it has noticeable wetness on the side that's been adjacent to the bag below it. Not sure where the dampness is originating from. The interior of the barn is dry. None of the pellets within the bags have exhibited any dampness. As most bags that I'm aware of, the bags do have 'pinholes' so they don't hold air. Could the pellets have a residual moisture that's passing through the pinholes and condensing between the bags? I don't recall this from previous years of ever occurring..

I am having the same issue in my unheated garage, caused by the temperature/humidity swings we are having here in NH.

Reactions: Harmanizer
im thinking its just a little condensation as the pellets do hold some heat especially being stacked and the cold air makes them sweat a bit

I experience the same thing in my unheated garage. Pellets stay dry though, which obviously is good :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: bags
Yeah same here the other day when the outside air hit close to fifty after being in the single digits. Also unheated garage. Pellets were fine.

So the consciences is normal
If you are still not satisfied message me your address
and I will come with my 5 ton and remove offending product
from your premises NO CHARGE

same thing here. unheated garage. wetness on the bags. i actually thought my garage roof was leaking but not the case. pellets stayed dry and the bags do not have breather holes.

I laughed at the cat pee comment. Once the bags are in the house, my dog likes to pee on them. he goes outside 99% of the time but when he makes a mistake its always on a pellet bag.

same thing here. unheated garage. wetness on the bags. i actually thought my garage roof was leaking but not the case. pellets stayed dry and the bags do not have breather holes.

I laughed at the cat pee comment. Once the bags are in the house, my dog likes to pee on them. he goes outside 99% of the time but when he makes a mistake its always on a pellet bag.

Close that would have to do with Okies. There were some pellets that would smell like cat piss.

Of course only Doug could really commit on this. Is he still banned?

My pellet bags stay dry in my unheated pole barn. Even with having the issue of frost melting and dripping from the uninsulated steel roof in shoulder seasons. I keep a sheet of plastic over the pellet stack but just loosely over the top, not wrapped or bound or anything.

I suppose any pellets made from piss elm might have a similar smell.

Just for giggles, do an experiment if you wish. Take 5 or 6 bags off of the pallet and set them around the shed individually setting them up on end. Next time you go in for a few bags, compare them to the ones you take off of the pallet. They should be dry except maybe for the end that sat on the floor.

Basically, the pallet of pellets is a large mass that takes a while to change temperature once a temperature change occurs. If you have any heavy steel in the shed, like a piece of solid shafting or the like, and it gets real cold for a week, then warms up fast as some record breaking warm front comes over the area, you'll notice in an unheated shed, that the steel can not change temperature as fast as the air surrounding it does, and it will sweat like mad.

Reactions: pageyjim
Deezl Smoke X 2. Do the same with a 400 ton steam locomotive and talk about sweat like mad. It looks like it has been raining in the shed.
Ron

Well now I feel silly. I thought my garage roof had a leak. I didn't think about the temp swings we had! It was 12 one day 55 the next now back in the 20s lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

This effect can wreak havoc with electronics. One of my cars was stored in my garage for a winter when we had a swing of cold-warm-cold, and the condensate was everywhere. In the spring I went to start the car, and the computer and fuel pump had been fried. It was a costly repair.

My kids use pellets as kitty litter. Works well and is a bargain for them.