Have you ever disturbed a hornets nest in your chimney while cleaning it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trailrated

Feeling the Heat
Dec 8, 2009
Maryland
I found a dead horse hornet in the ash I was cleaning out of the stove. He wasn't burnt, just dead. (Horse Hornets are those giant brown and yellow bees, generally 3x bigger than your typical white faced hornet.)

This has got me wondering what kind of surprise I may get when I clean out the pipe................

Just run a nice hot fire of short duration the day before you are going to clean, no surprises after that.

blades said:
Just run a nice hot fire of short duration the day before you are going to clean, no surprises after that.
I was thinking the same thing.

Yellow jackets are what really likes the chimney. I think perhaps the odor maybe draws them. So we always look up the chimney before we start cleaning. If they are there, some of that spray that will shoot a long distance works great.

I have often found dead yellow jackets in the bottom of my chimney near the cleanout door (exterior masonry chimney), but I have never found a live one yet, nor any evidence of a nest. I've always wondered what they were doing in the chimney and what caused their demise.

Status
Not open for further replies.