Have you ever scrounged field wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
A farmer friend of mine that sells firewood said I can pick his property and take the random pieces that have been left over the years from various firewood processing sites. I found a pretty good spot. Got about a face cord. Been sitting on the ground for years. A lot of it was sitting on other splits so they were fine. It all seems to be oak.

Attachments

• oak field.jpg
    oak field.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 315
gzecc said:
A farmer friend of mine that sells firewood said I can pick his property and take the random pieces that have been left over the years from various firewood processing sites. I found a pretty good spot. Got about a face cord. Been sitting on the ground for years. A lot of it was sitting on other splits so they were fine. It all seems to be oak.

gzecc nice score, I run around and grab whats down on our property and the wood is fine. I found a stack of small maple rounds from two years ago this past weekend when fishing the brook and it still looks good. (Pictures coming later this week)

Zap

gzecc said:

I forgot to add that he says (farmer) that people want fresh cut wood. It makes them feel like their getting something better! I guess its new!

gzecc said:
gzecc said:

I forgot to add that he says (farmer) that people want fresh cut wood. It makes them feel like their getting something better! I guess its new!

Some people still think if the wood burns longer they will get more heat out of it. I have a neighbor who thinks I'm getting to far ahead in our firewood and our firewood is to dry but was the first on asking if I would sell him four cord. (Sold)

Zap

"Too dry" ? :lol: One of my fav things to see in the woods is a standing dead or deadfall with all sapwood rotted away Red or White Oak (not too many Elms left of medium size or larger) thats weathered silver grey,deep vertical cracks & no bark remaining.Standing dead for 3-5 yrs or more,even so rounds much more than 8" will need split at least once & dried for at least another year.
Like this dense stuff from about 6 weeks back - :coolsmile:

Attachments

• red oak 7.jpg
    red oak 7.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 276
  • red oak 8.jpg
    red oak 8.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 275
That stuff is like petrified wood. Limbs ring when you smack them together. Tons around the wet areas I can pick from. Pin oak mostly where I am.

Thistle said:
"Too dry" ? :lol: One of my fav things to see in the woods is a standing dead or deadfall with all sapwood rotted away Red or White Oak (not too many Elms left of medium size or larger) thats weathered silver grey,deep vertical cracks & no bark remaining.Standing dead for 3-5 yrs or more,even so rounds much more than 8" will need split at least once & dried for at least another year.
Like this dense stuff from about 6 weeks back - :coolsmile:

This looks like 90% of the wood we burned our first three years here. The property was choked with it. I still haven't cut a healthy, live tree unless it was in the way of a specific project.

gzecc said:

That is sort of like gleaning. Good for you.

Thistle said:
"Too dry" ? :lol:
I guess that if your stove isn't real tight and is leaking air, maybe the burn would be less controllable with very dry wood...

Status
Not open for further replies.