Have you lighted a fire?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

latichever

Apr 14, 2006
OK, it's November 1st, I live in southern New England, and have yet to light my first fire. Anyone else?

There have been a couple of moments when I thought I could sneak the stove on--without opening the windows, but my wife said no because first she needs to clean out the humidifier to protect her precious piano from the blasts of dry heat.

New stove, four cord on the porch, and I have yet to light a match. 50s during the day here, 40s at night.

I'm with your wife, except in my case it's carboys of my aging wine that I gotta keep off the heat.

I refuse, though, to touch that baseboard electric. My wife has her sweater on.

I'm a wuss (or my wife is).
We're a mile from the mason-dixon and have had about two or three fires in the past two weeks.
Finally got our first hard freeze last week - latest I can remember.

Notice how hot those first fires are?
Using last years' leftovers means you always start the season with well-aged wood!

Heartwood said:
New stove, four cord on the porch, and I have yet to light a match. 50s during the day here, 40s at night.

I'm with your wife, except in my case it's carboys of my aging wine that I gotta keep off the heat.

I refuse, though, to touch that baseboard electric. My wife has her sweater on.

Not yet, there were a couple nights last week where it was 28-30 degrees at night, but we simply turned on the oil furnace for 10-15 minutes and that was all we needed.

We have been burning just about every night.... Wifey is 4 months preggo... so if she wants more heat, I am not going to argue with her...

I've been buring mostly at night for 2-3 weeks or so. Until the last few days it hasn't been necessary...but I like to burn.

We've had a few evening chill chasers up to now, but no steady burning. The frost was on the pumpkins last night so I started burning a full fire and started her up again this morning. It's 37 currently. Nov 1st is a little late for me to start regular burning, but I'm not complaining.

I haven't had a fire yet but I have a personal rule that I won't start burning full time until December 1 every year. Although I may light one here or there for the fun of it before.

north of 60 said:
Heartwood said:
New stove, four cord on the porch,

HOW BIG IS YOUR PORCH. :wow:

It's deeper than most, but more to the point, on one of my first jobs, working for a trucking company, I learned to pack "high and tight." I'll just say that the stacks make my wife nervous.

I've been burning two fires a day for the last week. I must be somewhere close to Northcountry because I'm in MD by the mason-Dixion line.

I've been burning nightly here in Northern Illinois for a couple of weeks now. It's been in the 30's at night. I refuse to pay the natural gas company any more than necessary, so the wood's getting burned. Gotta keep my better half happy!!

Webmaster said:
BTW, if there are any English majors here...

Is it "lighted a fire" or "lit a fire"? or both?

We might have to have Thomas correct the instructions on a few million Supercedars.

English major I am (or was, I should say), as well as a writer. It's either, so you're safe both ways.

I fired the pellet stove the other night and let it run
overnight but it was just that night. Temps went
to 32F and the peer pressure on this forum got to me. ;-)

I awoke this morning to the sound of my oil burning furnace...

Needless to say I lit a fire before I got in the shower. With 5+ cords of wood all dried and ready to burn I'm not buring oil if I can avoid it. ;-) I think so far I've lit about 6 fires. Two overnight. Can't wait until this weather decides whether its going to be 60 or 35.

Not yet........Will be going by Monday night when it is consistantly cold. Snow expected here Monday night, Tuesday.....

ThePhotoHound said:
I've had a fire every night that we've dipped into the 30's and I'm proud of it! I'm not turning the oil heat on for even 5 minutes this year!!
Right there with you ph!! My kesystone has us a pleasant 73 though its 38 and breezy out. Lots of hemlock, small stuff, red maple, punky elm, a nice piece of small hard wood or tow mixed here and there, ahhh...

oregonrider said:
I've already burned half a cord and 8 bags of pellets between my two stoves. roben.
You guys have had a cold fall eh?

I am currently listening to the terrible sound of the gas furnace coming on periodically... BOTH Stoves are sitting there patiently waiting to burn, but I've got to wait until Monday @ 3:00 for the inspector to show up and give his blessing... Unless it gets a lot warmer than it is now, will have first fire Monday night!

Gooserider

jpl1nh, Yes it's been a cool fall. I have 5 100' tall fir trees that block the sun from hitting my house all day. I'm in a mtn. river valley so I have cold air coming down off the mountains plus cold air from the river. roben.

Status
Not open for further replies.