Have you seen this!!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Go to the iburncorn website. There are a lot of people who have done that or mod'ed there own system. Using both air and water (for radiant heat or DHW) I dont want water jackets in my stove. Nor do I want to drill large holes in it. Looks like a science experiment gone bad. If you ask me.

To each there own, but that will definitely void your warranty. Without a doubt in my mind.

I think he has too much time on his hands.

Tom C.

I don't know much about this stuff, having just started with pellets a week ago. BUT . . . I have a real problem with anyone who uses the phrases "earth friendly" and "quality time" in the space of two sentences - regardless of the topic.

Just sayin.

While I don't agree with all the claims I did install a kit from Crosslink in my Harman PC45. I also installed a heat exchanger on our electric hot water heater. We did this last Dec and I ran it for the remainder of the winter.
I turned off the power to the hot water heater so the stove had to keep the hot water hot plus after that it circulated into our fuel oil boiler and was pumped into the baseboard heating system via valves controlled by three thermostats creating three different zones.
We have a large ranch style house with full basement and the stove is located in the basement. The home was built in 1956 and insulated very well. Outside dimensions are 38 by 66 with a full basement as I mentioned earlier.
Previously I had a corn stove on the main floor that kept the upstairs warm with the bed rooms a little cooler around 65. The basement wasn't a concern as we spend very little time down there except our washing machine and dryer are there. I also had a corn stove down there that I would run when temps dipped to -20 and below.
My intention buying this kit was to eliminate the second stove in the house and have more even heat throughout the house.
I messed around with it all winter and learned a few things.
1 I had a very comfortable basement all winter.
2 My hot water heater produced hot water with the power shut off so that was a savings.
3 Most of the upstairs was comfortable with the exception of the room where my computer is.
4 I should note that it did a good job until the temp dipped below -5 that was when my computer room started to get cold.
This year I am going to try bypassing the hot water heater as that will eliminate 100 feet of pipe plus the heat exchanger from the system and maybe that will solve the problem.
So in conclusion the idea works and fits a need. It may not be for everyone but it is not a scam either.
As far as the warranty on any stove usually it will be a igniter, fan or electronic board that fails during that initial warranty period and often times the replacement part only has a 90 day warranty.
I could add that my first corn stove was a Harman PC45 located in my basement. It helped but couldn't heat the whole house.
After the first winter I ordered a Quad AE thinking 60,000 would be better then 45,000. I was able to sell the 45 for a good price and being the AE was a "new" model came out just about to a even swap.
After suffering through a second winter with a stove that had many problems and a poor dealer I finally realized that I needed a stove upstairs worse then one down stairs.
Looking at E-bay I seen new Bixbys were selling for 1700 freight included. I bought one knowing there was no warranty but also knowing the dealers were getting 4,000 for them. I could buy parts from the factory with no problem and after playing with it for a month I found it dependable so I installed it upstairs and bought another for downstairs. The idea being if something broke I could swap parts.
The following season Quad bumped their prices up far enough that I was able to sell the AE complete with all new parts for enough to pay for both Bixbys.
So later I heard about these kits and decided to see how they worked. Unfortunately the Kit wouldn't fit in a Bixby so I had a chance to get a Harman PC45 and try it as I was familiar with it.
In conclusion there is no doubt it works but it may not be for everyone. As I said I am heating all my basement and most of the main floor. I would be much happier heating all upstairs and heating part of the basement.
It would be hard to predict how big of a house this will keep comfortable just as how big a stove each of us needs as we all live in a different house, in different states and etc. Using water to transfer heat is different then air flow.

rona said:
While I don't agree with all the claims I did install a kit from Crosslink in my Harman PC45. I also installed a heat exchanger on our electric hot water heater. We did this last Dec and I ran it for the remainder of the winter.
I turned off the power to the hot water heater so the stove had to keep the hot water hot plus after that it circulated into our fuel oil boiler and was pumped into the baseboard heating system via valves controlled by three thermostats creating three different zones.
We have a large ranch style house with full basement and the stove is located in the basement. The home was built in 1956 and insulated very well. Outside dimensions are 38 by 66 with a full basement as I mentioned earlier.
Previously I had a corn stove on the main floor that kept the upstairs warm with the bed rooms a little cooler around 65. The basement wasn't a concern as we spend very little time down there except our washing machine and dryer are there. I also had a corn stove down there that I would run when temps dipped to -20 and below.
My intention buying this kit was to eliminate the second stove in the house and have more even heat throughout the house.
I messed around with it all winter and learned a few things.
1 I had a very comfortable basement all winter.
2 My hot water heater produced hot water with the power shut off so that was a savings.
3 Most of the upstairs was comfortable with the exception of the room where my computer is.
4 I should note that it did a good job until the temp dipped below -5 that was when my computer room started to get cold.
This year I am going to try bypassing the hot water heater as that will eliminate 100 feet of pipe plus the heat exchanger from the system and maybe that will solve the problem.
So in conclusion the idea works and fits a need. It may not be for everyone but it is not a scam either.
As far as the warranty on any stove usually it will be a igniter, fan or electronic board that fails during that initial warranty period and often times the replacement part only has a 90 day warranty.
I could add that my first corn stove was a Harman PC45 located in my basement. It helped but couldn't heat the whole house.
After the first winter I ordered a Quad AE thinking 60,000 would be better then 45,000. I was able to sell the 45 for a good price and being the AE was a "new" model came out just about to a even swap.
After suffering through a second winter with a stove that had many problems and a poor dealer I finally realized that I needed a stove upstairs worse then one down stairs.
Looking at E-bay I seen new Bixbys were selling for 1700 freight included. I bought one knowing there was no warranty but also knowing the dealers were getting 4,000 for them. I could buy parts from the factory with no problem and after playing with it for a month I found it dependable so I installed it upstairs and bought another for downstairs. The idea being if something broke I could swap parts.
The following season Quad bumped their prices up far enough that I was able to sell the AE complete with all new parts for enough to pay for both Bixbys.
So later I heard about these kits and decided to see how they worked. Unfortunately the Kit wouldn't fit in a Bixby so I had a chance to get a Harman PC45 and try it as I was familiar with it.
In conclusion there is no doubt it works but it may not be for everyone. As I said I am heating all my basement and most of the main floor. I would be much happier heating all upstairs and heating part of the basement.
It would be hard to predict how big of a house this will keep comfortable just as how big a stove each of us needs as we all live in a different house, in different states and etc. Using water to transfer heat is different then air flow.

Very nice report
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.