Having a slight dilemma

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Osagebndr

Minister of Fire
Feb 20, 2014
Central Indiana
Ok , maybe not a slight dilemma just thinking more of expense. I have been shopping around for a new wood stove and have 2600 sq ft to heat. I currently burn a reg buck and it does the job very easily. I want to change to an EPA stove( secondary burn type) and momma likes to watch the fire.
I have been looking at a enerzone 3.4 and a ws22 heatilator. Very different sized fire boxes and I know the enerzone is probably my best bet. The floor plan is very open tho and I once heated the place with a small space heater during a mild winter( temps in the 30's). So was wondering if it sounds like I might be able to get away with the smaller fire box and save a little $. I have looked at the reviews on both stoves and they both sound like good heaters any input would be appreciated thanks

If you're interested in soapstone, the Hearthstone Mansfield or the Woodstock Progress hybrid should suit very well.

But you may not need that many BTUs if it's really as mild as you say, every winter.

If you are trying to heat with a budget stove look at the Englander 30NC and the Drolet Baltic. Both are under $1200 and good heaters with a good fireview. Note that EPA stoves are going to want fully seasoned wood to perform well and at least 15 ft of chimney.

Lot of good heaters out there. And the Enerzone is one of them. Glad you are ready to chuck the Buck.

BB - Who loves big honkin steel stoves.

Reactions: Osagebndr
If you are trying to heat with a budget stove

At $2,200 for the Enerzone he ain't looking at a budget stove. That sucker is 1/4" and 3/8" boiler plate.

I was thinking the WS22 that he was asking about as an alternative.

Yeah if he isn't gonna go with the big boy, love that thing, he should look at a 30-NC.

I'm pushing for the big stove. Im going to try and go thru a changeout program that our co-op is having where they pay part of the price of the stove . So y'all don't think the ws22 is enough stove then ?thanks for the input so far and can I put an nc30 in on ceramic tile and concrete floor without anything else under it?

honestly, if your on a budget look at the NC-30, look at a couple install pics on this site, everyone loves them and the company from what I understand is a real customer service company, I don't know what your whole setup is - chimney (stainless, or mason, or mason with a liner) you may want to take a look at that if it is older and make sure everything is in good working condition, you don't want any surprises in cost or even worse - firemen at 2 am

I have an 8" flue . It's double wall stove pipe into double wall stainless. Straight up and out 12 ft total

Take a look into the timberwolf economizer line. Made by napoleon just they're cheaper version for the budget minded, I have the 2200 series love it been to warm for me to fully try it out other than a few break in fires. Good luck

Thanks for all the advice so far. Ill check out the timber wolfs ( had forgotten about them). Gonna shop around before pulling the trigger

I have an 8" flue . It's double wall stove pipe into double wall stainless. Straight up and out 12 ft total

That's short and will be oversized for the stoves you are looking at. Are you thinking of changing the flue? Napoleon stoves usually like good draft; not sure about the Timberwolf line but I would be cautious with your setup.

Twelve feet won't get it done with any EPA stove that I know of for draft. And eight inch just makes it worse. Lousy draft, poor burning and a face full of smoke anytime you open the stove door.

In fact I suspect you have been seeing some of that with the Buck too.

12' might work and 8" might work but i doubt it will work well with both of them combined

Had a slight problem now and then with the buck , but it kept a good draft. I was thinking about adding a 2 ft section and some roof guys to stabilize this month . I was also worried a bit about the draft and going from a 6 to 8" pipe. Hate to get rid if the 8" , it ain't got a full season on it yet tho

image.jpg
Thanks for all the advice so far. Ill check out the timber wolfs ( had forgotten about them). Gonna shop around before pulling the trigger
Here's my timberwolf 2200 set up the reason I went with the timberwolf over the englander nc30 was strictly due to clearences , with double wall pipe I beleive u need 7 inches to combustibles on a corner install the englander was a much bigger number and I didn't have the space. Just something to keep in mind.

With that change out program do you have to go thru a dealer?

What electric company are you going thru for the change out program?

FYI - my 30NC goes from 6" DBL wall stove pipe into 8" chimney system straight up through the house for a 16' OAL.

My draft is great and I am about 3-4hrs north of you regarding climate so I imagine if you add 4' to the chimney you should be good to go with a 30.

And something that hasn't been said yet...If you are used to - and LIKE the heat of the big ol buck, go with the bigger firebox (NC-30, Enerzone 3.4, etc.) They will be more like what you are used to for heat.

By the way the buck keeps our place anywhere from 75-90 degrees even at -15 degrees outside for weeks on end. That's why I was asking about a slightly smaller fire box. I think the buck is 3.6 ( that's with my gorilla math;lol)

You don't need to run a big stove with a full load if the weather is milder. It will be happy to purr along on a half load of wood.

Reactions: Osagebndr
Status
Not open for further replies.