Having problems adapting stove pipe from oval to round

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacobawest

Jan 11, 2014
Santa Rosa
Hi,

I'm new to the wood burning stove world and I just purchased a wood stove for a garage that already was set up for a wood burning stove. The pipe coming out of the ceiling is 6 inches in diameter. The stove I have (which im not sure of the brand) has a oval piece coming out of the top of it. Ive been looking around and I see that they make oval to round adapters for stove pipes. My problem is that I have not been able to find the size I need anywhere. The size of the oval is 6 5/8 by 10 1/2 inches. Is there anything I can do to make this work with my 6 inch pipe that is already installed through the roof? I'm hoping there is some solution to this problem. Something that I can make work. I'm uploading a picture hoping it will help.
20140111_204220.jpg20140111_204232.jpg 20140111_204241.jpg

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
So it's an old Defiant copy, and probably a regular Vermont Castings oval to round adap[ter will fit. Trouble is, that stove really requires an 8" flue, not 6". Also I see it needs some other repairs. Hate to say it, but maybe a different stove would save you some real headaches down the line... Sorry.

It may be that it doesn't need an adapter at all. My [old] stove has an oval outlet, but it's exactly the right size for a standard 8" pipe to fit if flattened at one end; yours may be the same. However, then going from 8" down to 6" is a bad idea and will likely cause you problems with draft.

A regular 8" pipe is simply squished to an oval shape to fit that - this stove was a mistake, sell it, buy one with a 6" flue - upsizing the chimney will cost you more than a new used stove that fits your chimney, and reducing the flue does not work (and violates fire codes.) an 8" pipe has a cross-sectional area of 50 square inches - a 6 inch only 28 square inches (geometry - Pi * R-squared), so it's not a minor choke-down to try and fit an 8" into a 6". Chalk it up to experience and get a different stove.

Reactions: Earth Stove
Hi,

I'm new to the wood burning stove world and I just purchased a wood stove for a garage that already was set up for a wood burning stove. The pipe coming out of the ceiling is 6 inches in diameter. The stove I have (which im not sure of the brand) has a oval piece coming out of the top of it. Ive been looking around and I see that they make oval to round adapters for stove pipes. My problem is that I have not been able to find the size I need anywhere. The size of the oval is 6 5/8 by 10 1/2 inches. Is there anything I can do to make this work with my 6 inch pipe that is already installed through the roof? I'm hoping there is some solution to this problem. Something that I can make work. I'm uploading a picture hoping it will help. View attachment 123717View attachment 123718 View attachment 123719

Thanks for your help.
Boil&Toil is right if it's indeed a 8" stove? That outlet is made for the stove pipe to fit "inside" that oval. I'd squeeze a 6" pipe to oval/elliptical and test fit it?
If it's way too small you'll have to change the flue/chimney to 8" or get another stove for 6"??

There's no "squish" in a 6" pipe stuck into that.
Granted the flange wall thickness of outlet probably is not 5/16" thick. but it's not exactly stated "6 5/8" inside dimension I.D. or 6 5/8" outside dimension O.D.???? Big difference?

I rather thought the fact that it's an oval and is 10-1/2" inches the BIG WAY was a lot more relevant than whether the two measurements were taken inside or outside. It doesn't have a diameter; it has a major and a minor axis, and both were specified. Even if the flange is 5/16" and the measurement was taken outside, a 6 inch pipe will just sit in the middle and let smoke go out the pointy ends of the oval.

Reactions: Earth Stove
I rather thought the fact that it's an oval and is 10-1/2" inches the BIG WAY was a lot more relevant than whether the two measurements were taken inside or outside. It doesn't have a diameter; it has a major and a minor axis, and both were specified. Even if the flange is 5/16" and the measurement was taken outside, a 6 inch pipe will just sit in the middle and let smoke go out the pointy ends of the oval.
Point taken; Excellent!!!!

Get a branded and better made stove, as you will realize the many advantages in the future.

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm new to the wood burning stove world and I just purchased a wood stove for a garage that already was set up for a wood burning stove. The pipe coming out of the ceiling is 6 inches in diameter. The stove I have (which im not sure of the brand) has a oval piece coming out of the top of it. Ive been looking around and I see that they make oval to round adapters for stove pipes. My problem is that I have not been able to find the size I need anywhere. The size of the oval is 6 5/8 by 10 1/2 inches. Is there anything I can do to make this work with my 6 inch pipe that is already installed through the roof? I'm hoping there is some solution to this problem. Something that I can make work. I'm uploading a picture hoping it will help. View attachment 123717View attachment 123718 View attachment 123719

Thanks for your help.
I just bought that same adapter from the wood stove store for my vigilant. Adapts it to a 6 inch pipe. U have a vermont casting.

Status
Not open for further replies.