Having some issues with our stove, need some wisdom :)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

briggsy13

Sep 19, 2011
Maryland
So it has been cold here in Maryland the last week plus, and our stove has been struggling to keep the house warm. We've never had a problem. I was running it on 6-8 with Hamers in it and it was still in the mid 60's in the house. It was in the 20's outside and had a wind but still I don't think we've ever had to run it that high before and it still wasn't cutting it. I'll just give the info on what I've seen that is unusual and you can maybe figure out what you think is going on?

Its burning black, unburned pellets in the burn pot and the ash pan.
Its staying hot way longer than normal after a shut down. I shut it down and an hour later it still has burning embers in the pot and the ash pan. This is not normal for our stove. It would normally be pretty well cold all over after an hour.

Hubby did a 1 ton clean out sometime in December and we haven't burned that much since then although I'm sure it could use a good cleaning.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts & ideas.

Cleaning is first on the agenda....... might be all it needs. Keep us posted.

Cleaning is first on the agenda....... might be all it needs. Keep us posted.

Well I've vacuumed it out really well last week, but haven't been able to clean out the stove pipe or anything, that's hubby territory and he's not around during the week.

Sounds like an airflow problem - agreed, it needs a good cleaning. Did you get all the "hidden" passages in your stove? Just vacuuming the areas that you can see isn't enough.
Also, is your combustion blower running at the proper speed, and have you taken it out and cleaned it?

Sounds like an airflow problem - agreed, it needs a good cleaning. Did you get all the "hidden" passages in your stove? Just vacuuming the areas that you can see isn't enough.
Also, is your combustion blower running at the proper speed, and have you taken it out and cleaned it?

Hubby told me one place to take apart this time to clean that I haven't before, but the combustion blower would be more than I am up to at this point. It will have to wait for him.

As mentioned above, it sounds like the stove needs a SERIOUS complete cleaning of EVERYTHING. Burning black is a bad sign of poor airflow.

Reactions: The Ds
If your combustion blower is all caked up with junk it wont be able to move enough air to keep the fire burning clean and hot.
Entire path of exhaust from Burn pot to weather cap should be cleaned.

Also intake air (OAK) path should be checked and cleaned.

Check all door/ashpan/hopper lid seals using "Dollar Bill" test (search the forum for test)

Pulling a combustion blower is not all that hard.
Look in your manual (or download one)
Removal and replace procedures should be in there.

I clean mine with compressed air, a small toothbrush, and electrical contact cleaner.
while blower is removed you can get good access to the venting path.

Another area to check is your damper adjustment. Not sure if your stove has one, but it should be adjusted properly.

Since you are in there you might as well pull the convection (room air) blower and clean that as well.
Again compressed air and a toothbrush.
Many convection blowers also have lubrication ports on the motor.
a couple of drops of 3-in-1 (Blue can) oil will save your bearings.

Good Luck,
---Nailer---

I don't know the names of what I cleaned out last night but it was the two metal plates behind where our ash pan sits. Took them off and cleaned behind them. Its warm here today so the stove is shut down and I can already tell it was burning cleaner last night cause its all ash, no half burned pellets anywhere. Hubby is still planning on doing a major cleanout this weekend but its already improved. Thanks

Reactions: The Ds
Status
Not open for further replies.