Having trouble connecting my liner to stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 20, 2014
Eden, NY
I finally moved my stove into place this weekend and I’m having issues connecting it to the liner due to the angle I’m dealing with. I thought maybe a 15 degree elbow connection would work, but for it to fit properly I would have to move the stove out of the fireplace a few more inches and I don’t really want to do that due to clearance concerns with the mantel (I don’t want the top of the stove sticking too far out of the fireplace). I did try to bend the liner slightly so it pointed down better to make the connection line up but the liner is surprisingly hard to bend – it just springs back. I could probably make the connection work but I’m not sure how much constant pressure should be on the liner once connected. Any suggestions on what to do? Thank you!

Attachments

• WP_20161024_05_24_33_Pro (2).jpg
    WP_20161024_05_24_33_Pro (2).jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 180
It will be tight & hard to work in there, but this is what I would do in that situation.
I'd set the 15 degree adapter in the flue collar & with a small level, determine
vertically, where the end of the liner needs to be for full insertion. Mark
the location on the liner with a Sharpie & trim it back.
(I would trim it to remove the ragged edge no matter what my options are.)
Once the liner is where you want it, install the adapter & see length what you need to
attach the male end of the adapter to the flue collar. You may need to stack a couple
of flex-to-rigid straight adapters to get the final connection, but it'll work.
Hope what I said makes sense.
Others may chime in now...

Reactions: Fivehorizons88
It will be tight & hard to work in there, but this is what I would do in that situation.
I'd set the 15 degree adapter in the flue collar & with a small level, determine
vertically, where the end of the liner needs to be for full insertion. Mark
the location on the liner with a Sharpie & trim it back.
(I would trim it to remove the ragged edge no matter what my options are.)
Once the liner is where you want it, install the adapter & see length what you need to
attach the male end of the adapter to the flue collar. You may need to stack a couple
of flex-to-rigid straight adapters to get the final connection, but it'll work.
Hope what I said makes sense.
Others may chime in now...
Thank you for your suggestion! Anyone else have any ideas?

Do you have any extra slack? Measure twice cut once, I'm sure if I could get it hooked up you can. They make flex to hard adapters go to local stove shop and find what you need.

it looks pretty well lined up to me you just need to bring it down to meet the appliance adapter it doesnt look like you will even need an elbow. Yes I am sure there will be some pressure on it because that light wall stuff has a memory but it will be fine.

Reactions: Fivehorizons88
If you have some more length i would get a standard adaptor, trim that end a little straighter, install the adaptor and pull it down onto the unit. It might want to flex back, but one the screws are in it and everything secured it wont go anywhere

Reactions: bholler
it looks pretty well lined up to me you just need to bring it down to meet the appliance adapter it doesnt look like you will even need an elbow. Yes I am sure there will be some pressure on it because that light wall stuff has a memory but it will be fine.
How would your preferred heavy wall behave? Can you just bend it it and it keeps its shape? I had similar issues to op last year, and hadn't even considered that heavy wall might have been easier to work with!

How would your preferred heavy wall behave? Can you just bend it it and it keeps its shape? I had similar issues to op last year, and hadn't even considered that heavy wall might have been easier to work with!
yes it would bend right into place and not spring back

I know what I'm using next time! Hopefully not for at least 14 years, though.
plain old light wall can hold up well as long as it is not abused. You will probably be fine

Status
Not open for further replies.