having trouble heating with my stove, it's too cold inside!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll say it again PELLETS, and turn up the stove to max for a couple hours and see what happens. The stove will not heat an imporperly insulated house at a med. setting try it on max and let us know....

woodsman23,

I know Barrett somewhat and he already has some different pellets to try, and he'll will get to that and the other things on the list he has been given.

He is delighted at the amount of information that he has been provided.

SmokeyTheBear said:
woodsman23,

I know Barrett somewhat and he already has some different pellets to try, and he'll will get to that and the other things on the list he has been given.

He is delighted at the amount of information that he has been provided.

I hope he fairs well doing so. good luck to him.

Looking at your original post I see 2 clues to possible issues...firstly the exhaust pipe..should be warm, even hot but yours sounds too hot..so this says you have air issues...perhaps Sydney1963 is right about the exhaust pipe being too long or too small diameter.....this also might explain incomplete combustion....however from your description of the flame it sounds OK though...hhhmmmm I still think it is an air issue.
secondly you mentioned the thermostat was set on the lowest anticipator setting...I wonder if the stove is cycling on and off too quickly not letting the pot burn long enough to thoroughly burn the pellets..hence all the clinkers.....try manual mode on medium or high for a while...

....OAK might help with overall heat in the room but I don't think that is the problem.

Castile pellet stv vs oil fired furnace is like a pick up vs a dump trk. Go look at the BTU out put of the furnace and then read the BTU of your stv. Your expecting too much from that size stv in that application.
The reason your pipe is so hot is cause the poor stv is running 24-7

humpin iron said:
Castile pellet stv vs oil fired furnace is like a pick up vs a dump trk. Go look at the BTU out put of the furnace and then read the BTU of your stv. Your expecting too much from that size stv in that application.
The reason your pipe is so hot is cause the poor stv is running 24-7

the length of time the stove runs should have little effect on the stove pipe temp. after about an hour and a half, the 3" duravent pipe out the back of my Englander is as hot as it gets, which is still cool enough to touch (though barely). it runs 24/7 and heats my 1400 sf cape to 70 just fine on 1.25 bags per day. I have a t with clean out, then 3' up then out install with OAK. I am also burning Lignetics, which are one of the best pellets out there. The house was extensively renovated and a 2nd story of new construction added on last year, so it is pretty tight.

An OAK, sealing up the windows with plastic wrap, and new pellets will be a short term solution to your problems. long term would be to get replacement windows, and blown in insulation. There are multi-paned replacement windows available out there that look like your original windows, though they are pricey.

One more idea for a solution for you.....you mentioned feed rate set almost to high...are you talking about the rod adjustment inside the hopper? If so..I have read in most cases this should be closed down as much as possible....you may be just getting too many pellets....push it in all the way, then back it off 1/4"...try that for starters...
Refer tp JTPs post #15 on the following thread
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/14225/#157665

today i'm burning a bag of new england wood pellets, much better. the temp is up to 220, instead of 170. much better quality pellets, similiar in size and no dust. the pa pellets range between 1/4" to 2.5", and there's more dust than pellets.

i'll try lowering the fuel rate when i can reach it. why did they put it at the bottom of the hopper?!

I have a castile stove and the setting from the factory is near the middle of the slot for feed rate. I have vaulted ceilings and heating close to 1800 sq ft. The stove holds the temp at 70 to 72 degrees when outside temps are in 20's. I am burning one bag a day now that its cold. I can still touch the 3" pipe after a couple hours. I run the stove on low speed at night and middle speed when I get up in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.