Hayes 901 parts and info?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 19, 2015
Salem, NY
I have a Hayes 901 which woodmanspartsplus.com cross referenced to Better'n Ben.
It came to me with a mismatched 6" flue collar and a lot of cement to seal it. The stove had also been sitting on stacked bricks instead of legs. The hole is actually 7" with a 6" square bolt pattern around it. I'm hoping to find a manual for this stove as well as a new collar and legs. The mounting holes for the legs are square for a 5/16" or 1/2" carriage bolt, and there are two for each leg in a diagonal pattern, offset about 2" sideways and 3" front/back for a total of about 3.75" diagonal.
I'm not much of a restorationist, but I'd be more comfortable putting it back together with factory parts. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Dan

Since there have been no replies, I'm moving forward. I've found some steel pipe and plate to make a flue collar for this stove. I will have the collar welded to the top plate, but still have to seal that plate to the rest of the stove. What is the best way to seal a steel plate flange to the steel plate body of the stove? Is there some kind of cloth/sheet to cut a gasket out of? Should I just use a thin smear of refractory cement and bolt it together?

Thanks,
Dan

I have a Hayes 901 which woodmanspartsplus.com cross referenced to Better'n Ben.
It came to me with a mismatched 6" flue collar and a lot of cement to seal it. The stove had also been sitting on stacked bricks instead of legs. The hole is actually 7" with a 6" square bolt pattern around it. I'm hoping to find a manual for this stove as well as a new collar and legs. The mounting holes for the legs are square for a 5/16" or 1/2" carriage bolt, and there are two for each leg in a diagonal pattern, offset about 2" sideways and 3" front/back for a total of about 3.75" diagonal.
I'm not much of a restorationist, but I'd be more comfortable putting it back together with factory parts. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Dan

Thanks, I think I'm actually looking for something more like this.
$_35.JPG
but these are built for the wall or ceiling, and the plate could be round instead of square. How heavy would it need to be? Most of the stove is about 3/16 if I had to guess. Also because it will be two plates sealing against each other I wasn't sure what to seal it with and how to address the bolt holes. Should I just set them together with something soft like silicone, or do I need some fiberglass or ceramic gasket tape?
The best idea I've heard so far was to take the woven gasket material and make a circle on the flue collar plate covering the bolt holes, then open up the woven material with an awl to make room for the bolts. I'm thinking this would leave a gap between the plates so I'd have to dress the edges with some black silicone or something...

Here is a pic of the top of the stove. It had a round flange which was too small and didn't line up with the bolt holes cemented on to it but I don't know if the original was round or square.
1125151620.jpg
I actually have some pipe from a furnace that will be just right to fabricate my own, if I can't find the part, so design and sealing it are my main concerns (although I'd be happy to buy an inexpensive replacement before wasting time building one and begging someone to weld it for me)

Last edited by a moderator:
The flue collar will get very hot. Make it out of 3/16 or heavier.

Status
Not open for further replies.