Hazard trees

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Creekside

Dec 2, 2014
Western Washington
I took out a few hazard trees this past weekend and they might just yield enough wood for 2016/17.
First two are a couple of little alders that are growing out and over my garage, but you can't really tell from the angle I took the pictures from. I put a pull line in one and rigged a 3 to 1 progress capture pulley to pull it away from the garage and felled it from the ground. The other one I climbed and topped because it had too much trunk lean towards the garage.

IMG_20150303_145401_189.jpg IMG_20150303_155614_086.jpg

The other tree was a Bigleaf Maple that had a lot of crown dieback and was randomly dropping dead limbs. So it was either watch all that wood rot for the next few years or put it to good use. This one was around 100' and 40-42" DBH and I couldn't drop it in one piece without destroying a lot of other stuff and making it hard to get the wood out. I climbed it and took out three BIG tops. Luckily the trunk was so big there wasn't much of a ride. I left about a 50' spar to fall from the ground and again rigged a pull line with a 3-1 because I wanted to fall it directly against the lean and it had to go in a tight spot between a fence and pond. Good thing I set the pull line because I could barely get it to move with a deep face cut, and a set of double stacked wedges. Only bummer is the butt is more rotten than I expected but ya don't need to gut the center of the hinge!

IMG_20150309_190552_131.jpg IMG_20150310_154803_386.jpg IMG_20150310_161757_254.jpg IMG_20150310_161724_412.jpg

Reactions: BlackGreyhounds
Glad you got them down OK. Bummer about the maple, but still some good wood there.

That's awesome that you have the equipment and knowledge to do that kind of work, That same job would cost me $1,000.00. Good for you and be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.