Hazelnut shells in a pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moralleper

Aug 24, 2006
Kalama, WA
Does anybody know how well hazelnut/filbert, depending on where you are from, will burn in a pellet stove. I have a abundace of shells in my yard, plus there is a guy in my area selling them for 2.25 for a 40lb bag, thats a lot of shells.

thanks in advance,

Tim

no, please, not in a quadrafire (non AE, there new stoves are bio mass stoves but yours isnt.) Burn pellets, or buy a biomass stove, it will casue you big problems if you try to burn that.

No it is not the AE, and no I have not done it. it was purely just an inquery because I had not seen or heard of anybody doing this before.

ohh i knew you didnt do it yet, because your post would have been somthing like.. wtf is wrong with my pellet stove?? LOL
the problem is you cant control the air to fuel ratio.. and the microprocessor is set to burn pellets well and corn moderatly well. If you could adjust the air, it may be possible, but you cant.. so thats kind of a moot point.
:)

Don't be the experimentee. Let the providers do their own research. Your stove should be rated for pellets, premium pellets, or if with the certain extras, biomass. Nut shells are loose mass and hard to burn, don't try until California and Oregon figure out an economical way to turn bulk to pellets.

This was just an question. I am looking at getting rid of my shells and a guy on Craig's list was selling them so I was seeing if there was a market for it. Sell the shells buy some pellets.

OK.... I realize I'll probably win the annual award for the "most off-topic post an a particular thread" category.... but......

1) are hazel nuts/filberts the same thing?
2) how do you end up with so many shells that you would have enough to burn? or sell for that matter.

Not trying to pry into anyones personal lives, but those questions just popped into my head when I saw the thread topic (and I'm really just showing my ignorance here as well)

Hazelnuts are thought to have originated from filberts. The NW, specifically Oregon, produces 99% of all Hazelnuts on the market, they grow well here. I live in SW Washington and have many thriving Hazelnut trees, and unfortunately apple and pear trees, in my small orchard.

Wow!!!

You learn something new here every day!!! I never really thought about it, and being a "Yankee" all my life..... never saw a hazelnut tree, and quite frankly for some reason, thought they were more tropical..... maybe it's the coffee association that made me think that. :roll:

http://oregonhazelnuts.org/

Status
Not open for further replies.