Hazy Glass After Cleaning It - Picture

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Enigma869, you will not be disappointed in the Rutland. If you have any haze remaining, it's only going to be because you missed a spot! (I speak from experience...LOL)

Reactions: briansol
Theres something wrong if it looks like that after cleaning....

I'm willing to listen to theories, Jack. Again, I simply use a clean paper towel with cold water. When the glass is wet, it looks clean. When it dries, that haze never leaves. Definitely seems odd to me. Who knows...maybe I have a defective piece of glass. We'll see what happens after I try the Rutland glass cleaner.

Dip a wet paper towel in cold ash and it will take the stuff right off. As to ammonia in glass cleaners I have been using them for thirty years and haven't had a piece of stove glass hurt by it yet.

And the glass in all modern wood and pellet stoves is Pyroceram or Neoceram ceramic. Not glass.

Would the ammonia in glass cleaner deteriorate the gasket material around the glass or door?

Gasketing is fiberglass. Pretty inert chemically. The adhesive is silicone.

One thing I did notice in my very short time using a pellet stove.
After getting the glass clean, I wiped it with silicone lube from a spray can.
(It was Liquid Wrench silicone spray). I sprayed it on a small piece of cloth,
wiped it on the glass, let it stay wet a bit, then wiped it off completely.
Now, when I wipe the glass when I clean it, it is MUCH clearer with little effort..
I expect I will do that every time I do a good clean after shutdown..

Dan

I just run the vacuum brush lightly then get a bounty paper towel with warm water. On the second paper towel it's good.

I'm willing to listen to theories, Jack. Again, I simply use a clean paper towel with cold water. When the glass is wet, it looks clean. When it dries, that haze never leaves. Definitely seems odd to me. Who knows...maybe I have a defective piece of glass. We'll see what happens after I try the Rutland glass cleaner.

I have the exact same issue on my stove's glass.
I tried dry wiping it daily and the ash falls right off but that stubborn haze near the center builds and gets worse every day.
When I shut the stove down for cleaning, a wet paper towel cleans everything nice except for that darn haze. I use Rutland's and it
does a very good job, but the cycle starts all over again. I've been dealing with this haze issue since the day one and I also wonder if the glass is defective--very disappointing.
Jerry.

I have the exact same issue on my stove's glass.
. I've been dealing with this haze issue since the day one and I also wonder if the glass is defective--very disappointing.
Jerry.
The haze and the ash buildup on the window or your pellet stoves is not a defect in the glass or the operation of the stove. It is a normal byproduct of the material we burn. Consider the condition of the inside walls of your pellet stove when you clean it...completely covered in ash and perhaps some creosote. Your window is being impacted as well. I've now had my stove for 17 months and every week during burn season I clean the glass. Some weeks are worse than others depending on how hard the stove has had to work. Same with the ash buildup on the interior.

No defect...consider it a visible sign of the pellet stove heating your home and saving you oil money!

Reactions: Ctcarl
The haze and the ash buildup on the window or your pellet stoves is not a defect in the glass or the operation of the stove. It is a normal byproduct of the material we burn. Consider the condition of the inside walls of your pellet stove when you clean it...completely covered in ash and perhaps some creosote. Your window is being impacted as well. I've now had my stove for 17 months and every week during burn season I clean the glass. Some weeks are worse than others depending on how hard the stove has had to work. Same with the ash buildup on the interior.

No defect...consider it a visible sign of the pellet stove heating your home and saving you oil money!
The haze he is talking about is there right after he cleans the glass (if I understand the posting correctly) If that is the case, then the haze isn't a normal condition because he hasn't burned any pellets on the freshly cleaned glass. His cleaner isn't doing the job.

Reactions: Jack Morrissey
The haze he is talking about is there right after he cleans the glass (if I understand the posting correctly) If that is the case, then the haze isn't a normal condition because he hasn't burned any pellets on the freshly cleaned glass. His cleaner isn't doing the job.

You are correct. For the record Melissa...I wasn't suggesting that ash buildup on glass with a fire raging was anything unusual, or a defect. My point was that after the stove has been cleaned, and the glass has been cleaned, the haze that I posted a picture of always comes back when the glass dries, even though it appears to be clean.

You are correct. For the record Melissa...I wasn't suggesting that ash buildup on glass with a fire raging was anything unusual, or a defect. My point was that after the stove has been cleaned, and the glass has been cleaned, the haze that I posted a picture of always comes back when the glass dries, even though it appears to be clean.

Enigma869,
I get the same issues as you describe.
I've been using the Rutland glass cleaner for a couple years and it does remove the haze--you'll like it.

thank you Steve. I was responding to JMart's comment that he wondered if the glass is defective I was not responding to enigma. I already suggested to enigma that he try Rutland glass cleaner.

As someone said earlier. Get a damp paper towel dip it in some of the fly ash and wipe it down. Then finish it off with some windex. I was just using windex then I read about the ash trick and first time I was impressed how well it worked!

One thing I did notice in my very short time using a pellet stove.
After getting the glass clean, I wiped it with silicone lube from a spray can.
(It was Liquid Wrench silicone spray). I sprayed it on a small piece of cloth,
wiped it on the glass, let it stay wet a bit, then wiped it off completely.
Now, when I wipe the glass when I clean it, it is MUCH clearer with little effort..
I expect I will do that every time I do a good clean after shutdown..

Dan
Rutland cleaner contains silicone, that's why it can make the haze disappear.

As someone said earlier. Get a damp paper towel dip it in some of the fly ash and wipe it down. Then finish it off with some windex. I was just using windex then I read about the ash trick and first time I was impressed how well it worked!
My tech said to never use windex due to the ammonia in it.?

Maybe affects the glass when heated up. Now that I tried trick with the ash I can go without the windex. Before I had to scrub hard to got the brown streaks off. Last week was the first time I tried the wet ash and it came off easy. Then just a quick wipe for final cleaning

Maybe affects the glass when heated up. Now that I tried trick with the ash I can go without the windex. Before I had to scrub hard to got the brown streaks off. Last week was the first time I tried the wet ash and it came off easy. Then just a quick wipe for final cleaning
Yea when she's shut down I get a damp paper towel do that about three times by the third shot it's nice and clean.perhaps the ammonia can weaken the glass or maybe the glass has some form of coating and it weakens it.im in the eyeglass field and ammonia on drill rimless glasses is one material will cause small cracks in the corners.

New to the pellet stove world (just installed Quadrafire MtVernon AE)
and my wife asked me about the gunk on the glass after about 6 bags burned. I thought it was just normal burn stuff.
Will try the suggestions here for cleaning.

Dip your wet paper towel in ash and wipe, it will remove the haze, then use a few dabs of Rutland to Polish the glass and provide a slick surface that the ash will not stick to as easily.

Please try the wet paper towel dipped in ash, it is just abrasive enough to remove your haze/build up. You can also then use a damp paper towel to finish cleaning the glass before you get your Rutland.

Reactions: Keifer2669
Status
Not open for further replies.