HD Brings out the good stuff

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyray

Minister of Fire
In our area outside phila, I think most pellet stove owners bought all the're pellets during the Oct-Nov panic. Chows, FSU's Presto logs, AWF's, Nations choice etc.
because they have had Blazers from Oregon just layin around on open pallets not selling or selling slow.
I know because few days ago I picked up few bags just to try...
Wow...Best I ever burned..Clean, hot!! barely and Ash...9200 Btu THEY CLAIM..
Slightly less ash than my Energex Golden Pellts..0.5..
Take back what I said about Magic Pellets..
went back for few more yesterday and still open skids with covered pallets in the back.
1st time burning Douglas fir..And at same price the lower end stuff was selling for..?
Must have came East by Rail cause Shipping by truck would have been big cost. maybe not.
You couldn't find pellets at our HD Cause they sold truckloads as fast as they came in and now
they have Douglas fir just sitting there and 249.00 ton? Wake me up I'm hallucinating..!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: jackman
Doug fir pellets are the only kind we get here in Oregon. What did you pay for a bag? I don't buy the Blazer's since they are typically about $4.50/bag and not as good as the Packsaddle pellets I buy at $3.98/bag.

Thanks for the post. I may have to run out and check the local HD to see what they have laying around. I'm always up to sample a few bags of different pellets.

Doug fir pellets are the only kind we get here in Oregon. What did you pay for a bag? I don't buy the Blazer's since they are typically about $4.50/bag and not as good as the Packsaddle pellets I buy at $3.98/bag.
You guys are lucky ! You should see the ash bound junk we get out here in the east compared with DF. I envy your clean burn pots you have out there at an affordable price ! Out here we get 0 pellets for $4 a bag incidentally, I don't care what brand it is or if it came from the sellers back yard and is loaded with bark... And no I'm not whining, just delivering the facts.

Reactions: jackman
You guys are lucky ! You should see the ash bound junk we get out here in the east compared with DF. I envy your clean burn pots you have out there at an affordable price ! Out here we get 0 pellets for $4 a bag incidentally, I don't care what brand it is or if it came from the sellers back yard and is loaded with bark... And no I'm not whining, just delivering the facts.

I'm with you on that. Heck, just saw Green Supremes and Maine's Best (or something from Maine) for $5.39/bag at the local Lowe's. Needless to say I didn't pick any up as I can get FSU's and Heaterz at HD for $4.98, (plus get a 5% discount) and get the exact same Maine pellets from Wally World for $4.87. Those are the best prices I've seen for anything around here.

Reactions: alternativeheat
I'm with you on that. Heck, just saw Green Supremes and Maine's Best (or something from Maine) for $5.39/bag at the local Lowe's. Needless to say I didn't pick any up as I can get FSU's and Heaterz at HD for $4.98, (plus get a 5% discount) and get the exact same Maine pellets from Wally World for $4.87. Those are the best prices I've seen for anything around here.
Yes and non of those come close to comparing with Douglas Fir. And incidentally, your costs in your area are better than here where I live. HD bag cost here is $5.59 for what ever junk they are selling or the good stuff. Count on Lowes being $.30 a bag more for the same or similar junk and TSC being about $.25 less, to which their own brand is produced by Maine Woods here.. Most stove shop prices are in the $6 plus range here. The hardware store up the street gets $6.49 for a bag of Green Supreme and the other one gets $7.49 for Spruce Pointe. Absolutely non of these are like DF pellets. That's bag prices here. Tons range from $259 for common brands and some good ones mixed in the mess, to as much as nearly $400 for Oknanagan DF. I paid $299 for a ton of Energex Hardwood Premiums here back in Sept. ( 8600 BTU 1% ash). AWF all white pine get close to DF specs on ash, they were $269 a ton at HD last month.

Last edited:
Tonyray
Maybe I can't read....but what is the brand of pellets you just bought???
And which Home Depot had them??

Tonyray
Maybe I can't read....but what is the brand of pellets you just bought???
And which Home Depot had them??
Tony isn't on board at the moment, I think he is in Bucks County PA ( don't shoot me if I'm wrong) and the brand is Blazers.

paid 28.00 for 6 bags but did get military ID 10% discount which BTW:
2nd time I went back the clerk told me NO DISCOUNT on any Non-taxable item like wood pellets..
I said they did it couple days ago buying pellets and clerk said they were not supposed to on non- taxable wood fuel.
same as heating Oil I guess.. No tax.

I am set for this year, but if i was at HD and saw Blazers I would be tempted to get a ton. Who am i kidding, if I was in my truck they would be mine.

Only in my dreams would see Blazer's in Ct!!

Reactions: jtakeman
If I didn't have 6 tons on hand already I would have done the same thing!
Went today again...My 3rd time there and picked up 22 more bags...I think that's 35 I picked up in past few days .
I saw they just got in a truckload of Chows today which last year as a newbie would have made me happy..then again, they we're 229.00 last year plus have burned better since then.
somehow I found some room in the basement for the Blazers.. prob won't see them again but who knows...

Funny..
people are walking right past the Douglas fir Blazers and hitting the Ashy Stove chows that just came in yesterday..
that's good... more left for the savey pellet hunter. same price as the chows.... !!!

Reactions: dlavigne7324
Status
Not open for further replies.