New England (MA, CT, ME, NH, VT, RI) HD/Lowes Fitchburg MA?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ExhibitGuy

Sep 2, 2014
Gardner, MA
Anyone purchase from Leominster/Fitchburg area recently? I need to pick up a ton of pellets but don't know if they have any .. I'll call this afternoon and post back.

If you are hard up try TSC for a few test bags of Equine Bedding Pellets.
Make sure they are light blonde colored and don't tell them you're going to burn them. They are really good (See several threads hereon) but TSC is catching wise to our off-label use and at least one venue doesn't like it.

Tell 'em they're for rabbits or a pony or some such.

The Lowes inventory locator shows all locations in central/eastern MA are sold out. I would assume the situation at HD is similar. Fortunately heating oil is still cheap(though its off its lows). If you have a device for burning dinosaurs, it won't be worth the hassle trying to locate pellets.

Head up to Keene, NH Agway has pellets at $300 a ton and Hamshaw Lumber (Ace Hardware) also has pellets when I checked last week. HD in Keene was supposed to get a shipment a few days ago but I haven't checked.

Had some business in Keene today. Agway has about 9 tons of AWF Ultra Premium softwoods for I believe $300/ton. Manager said there has been no rush of anyone looking for pellets there so they should be around for a while. Hamshaw's Lumber were selling NEWP's and Barefoot's. By the bag, there is a 10 bag limit. I didn't ask about buying by the ton but their truck was leaving to make a delivery as I arrived and it had a couple of tons of NEWP's and Barefoot's on board so I am guessing they do sell by the ton.

Fitchburg Home Depot has Prest-O.. They are selling them 10 bags at a time. I would guess 2 Tons INSIDE the store. My wife and I bought 20 bags..
$5.15/bag

UPDATE : Finally got to load a bag of the Presto's into the stove... Not bad heat. The after 6 hours overnight on LOW, the ash was lighter in color than the Stove Chow's I have been burning all season.
We went to HD last weekend and they are clean out of all pellets..

The store just took delivery of Several tons of Natures Choice. These seem to be terrible pellets. I bought 10 bags and just started burning them yesterday. Fire went out on me on Low setting (Presto's and Chow haven't done that to me), low heat when it was blazing set to high. The basement took about 2x as long to heat up ..

I'm glad I only spent $51 on the 10 bags. I wouldn't buy a ton - but if you're burning though your stash and need to make it another month.. I suppose..

Status
Not open for further replies.