HD & Lowes pellet prices....YIKES!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

imacman

Just got back from a trip to both Home Depot and Lowes in Newburgh. I asked what they were going to be getting for pellets WHEN their shipments come in, and BOTH said $349/ton....YIKES!

The guy in Lowes also said they had all of the next shipment sold already, but had no idea what brand it was.

BTW, the HD had 2 Englander stoves in stock (one was marked SOLD), and Lowes had just 1. I was amazed they had aANY at all.

I bought three tons @ the Depot in the past few weeks at $2.49 /ton (Penningtons). I was in there last week, they had a new shipment (FreedomFuel) selling for $257. $350 is foolish money........ who do they think they are, ExxonMobil ??????

Just plain scarey to me. I got three tons for 279.00 apiece two weeks ago and felt then that things were not as rosey as I hoped they would be in the pellet market. My stove hasn't even arrived yet and I am already worried and or wondering if this is actually going to be that much of an alternative to saving money. Friends with pellet stoves for the past several years are all griping at the increased costs compared to the past few years. If nothing else, I will have a fire to look at this winter.

Webmaster said:
Rip-Off city!
Only a fool would buy and burn pellets at $350 a ton picked up (sorry to the fools who do)...

...unless you just paid $4.50/gal for oil......

Chris

A couple people at work bought at HD's recently for 225 a ton.

Maybe the store managers read about the pellet shortage here...... and adjusted their prices accordingly?? ;-P

macman said:
Just got back from a trip to both Home Depot and Lowes in Newburgh. I asked what they were going to be getting for pellets WHEN their shipments come in, and BOTH said $349/ton....YIKES!

The guy in Lowes also said they had all of the next shipment sold already, but had no idea what brand it was.

BTW, the HD had 2 Englander stoves in stock (one was marked SOLD), and Lowes had just 1. I was amazed they had aANY at all.

I tripped over 5 Englanders at Wappingers HD last weekend and 4 at Fishkill HD.
Newburgh Depot is as bad as the Gunhill rd Depot in the Bronx, both have low income workers that only want a check on Friday and run from customers. If you get lucky and catch one the response is a guess just to get you away from them, right or wrong.

flashbang said:

That has just gotta leave a mark.

BrotherBart said:
flashbang said:

That has just gotta leave a mark.

Yeah, but you don't have to worry about tripping over the "help"! :lol:

Chris

macman said:

Hey macman try

Tri-County Coal, Inc. 113 Old Route 6 Carmel, NY 10512 (845) 279-2046

They usually stock Barefoot, Dry Creek, LG and a few others. I bought mine back in April don't know what todays pricing is but they are usually fair.

I am new to this and I am getting great information here about pellet stoves. I am expecting a Napoleon NPS40 in December. I am also worried that I will not be able to find pellets at a reasonable price. I am waiting for Lowes to get their delivery as well. They said they thought they would be $269 a ton. I hope that is accurate. I do not want to pay $350. I will get my first oil delivery at about $3.50 per gallon.

At Home Depot in Bellingham, MA, Natures Heat premium hardwood pellets for $249.00 per ton. I could see about 10 tons or so for sale.

Steve

I checked our local Home Depot in Austinburg, Ohio and Howland, Ohio. They laughed at me when I asked about pellets.

Lowes in Hermitage PA, Niles Ohio and Boardman Ohio have a brand called "Press2logs" from WV and they are selling it at $298.50 a ton.

I still have pellets at $210 a ton and mine are stored in a warehouse, not outside. I do have a price increase coming but no where close to $239.50.

Eric

I just paid 298.50 per ton at Lowes. (Natures Own) I haven't seen anything less than $350 per ton on Long Island, and that is how much they will be "when they come in". Oh well. On early buy list for next year. Hopefully these 2 tons last through the season.

eschills said:
I just paid 298.50 per ton at Lowes. (Natures Own) I haven't seen anything less than $350 per ton on Long Island, and that is how much they will be "when they come in". Oh well. On early buy list for next year. Hopefully these 2 tons last through the season.

I hope the winter is mild, the area you want to heat is small, you keep the temp fairly low, and your house is very well insulated....2 tons isn't a lot for most applications, from what I've read on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.