HD Lowest price in 3 yrs.!!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyray

Minister of Fire
drove up to HD in my area Outside Phila..
they had about 15 skids of Stove chows, all wrapped and looking normal[ from the car anyways].
sign on each said, 199.00 Ton. down from 259.00...
HD pellets went up to 269.00 this past fall and I don't think they sold many of the're mediocre pellets [Nation's Choice along with the Chows]
due to high prices and of course the warmer 1st few months of winter no one exspected..
I used to use Stove chows 3 seasons ago and the price at that time was a Normal 229.00 ton..
This is a Substancial drop in price!!! 20.00 less than 3 yrs ago for chows..
[wondering if they got wet and re-wrapped?

Last edited:
Reactions: bogieb
Still 259 here for nations choice. They did have some FSU but there all gone or they are hiding them.

I just checked the HD website for the stores in southern NH and they're still $259/ton. I also looked on the site for the Philly area stores and none show the Stove Chows, just Fireside Platinum for $299/ton. You could be correct on possible damage wanting them to get rid of the Chows left.

Sam

I just checked the HD website for the stores in southern NH and they're still $259/ton. I also looked on the site for the Philly area stores and none show the Stove Chows, just Fireside Platinum for $299/ton. You could be correct on possible damage wanting them to get rid of the Chows left.

Sam
yes.. the web sites for HD are horrible...
most times the actual brand is not shown...
this is the 19055 zip code of Levittown,Pa...about 30 miles North of Phila]
chows don't even show up.

Reactions: Peterfield
This is a Substancial drop in price!!! 20.00 less than 3 yrs ago for chows..

Actually $30 less than then...

I'm betting we'll see this at other HD and Lowe's in the near future. It's not so much the mild winters but the availability of cheap oil that's leaving the pellets in the stores. If I had oil heat (natural gas at the house now) I'd have a full tank and a few 5 gallon jerry cans stashed away.

Actually $30 less than then...

I'm betting we'll see this at other HD and Lowe's in the near future. It's not so much the mild winters but the availability of cheap oil that's leaving the pellets in the stores. If I had oil heat (natural gas at the house now) I'd have a full tank and a few 5 gallon jerry cans stashed away.
What are you paying for natural gas? Here it is .974 a therm. kap

What are you paying for natural gas? Here it is .974 a therm. kap

Damned if I know...

I'm using a pellet stove to shut off quite a bit of the house from heat. Older house, single zone steam heat cast iron radiators. Kids out of the house, off to college. No need to keep 3 floors / 10 rooms at a comfortable temp.

We're using the pellets approx 10 hours a day. Overnight the thermostat is between 52º - 54º. So we are using a bit of gas still.

Just checked. The Stove Chow is $189 a ton here too. Same as I paid for them three years ago. Some un-named pellets for $199 a ton.

Looks like I'll be buying in bulk the next week or so.

Pays to wait it out sometimes I guess. Usually I get bit.

Reactions: pell it
I'm going to guess those pellets got wet or the bags damaged. We had some locally too at HD that went for half price . The floor guy said "we have two pallets of pellets with damaged bags if you want to pick through them, there are a lot of good bags mixed in". No thanks.

TSC still holding on their price here. And their yard is over stocked. I bought a few loose bags, they burned hot but some pellets inside were water damaged, swollen up, even clumped up. I just broke the clumps up, the p61 will burn them anyway. But now I can't trust buying a ton there when the price crashes.

I click on the link and get $5.18/bag from the Manchester store.

Oh, boy howdy - they show as shipping free.

The Concord store doesn't' show as free shipping.

Holy cow, in the space of 3 minutes, it went from free shipping to free in-store pick up.

Obviously there are changes in the pipeline and I suspect we'll see more soon. The HD and Lowe's websites have always been notoriously inaccurate on pellet brands and quantities.

I guess with my gimpy knee they decided to load the pellets for me at TSC. But then If you look around the place the whole yard is full of pellets, not just where they store pellets but all the way around back of the building and to their implement yard as well on the opposite side of the building.

I'm going to guess those pellets got wet or the bags damaged. We had some locally too at HD that went for half price . The floor guy said "we have two pallets of pellets with damaged bags if you want to pick through them, there are a lot of good bags mixed in". No thanks.

TSC still holding on their price here. And their yard is over stocked. I bought a few loose bags, they burned hot but some pellets inside were water damaged, swollen up, even clumped up. I just broke the clumps up, the p61 will burn them anyway. But now I can't trust buying a ton there when the price crashes.
I thought the same but,
I posted a link above showing Stove chows at 199.00 ton, and checked 3 other HD's in the area within 20 miles and they show same low price and many many pallets in stock... someone at HD Blinked in the past day or so.. warm weather, low Oil prices, slow inventory sales, could be a combo of all 3 reasons..

These HD's have plenty of Stove chows at 199.00

Tullytown #4163
Store Hours

145 Levittown Pkwy, Levittown, PA 19055 | (215)269-4923
Qty:
Pick Up In Store Today
1496 IN STOCK
7.31 miles away

Burlington #939
Store Hours

2703 Route 541, Westampton, NJ 8060 | (609)387-8178
Qty:
Pick Up In Store Today
4520 IN STOCK
7.32 miles away

Neshaminy #4134
Store Hours

900 Rock Hill Dr, Bensalem, PA 19020 | (215)942-4779
Qty:
Pick Up In Store Today
6 IN STOCK
10.13 miles away

Hamilton #927
Store Hours

750 Highway Rt 130, Robbinsville, NJ 8691 | (609)585-0411
Qty:
Pick Up In Store Today
395 IN STOCK
10.28 miles away

Bustleton Ave #6866
Store Hours

11725 Bustleton Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19116 | (215)676-7029
Qty:
Pick Up In Store Today
43 IN STOCK
18.04 miles away

Cheltenham #4109
Store Hours

2385 Cheltenham Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19150 | (215)881-9600
Qty:
Pick Up In Store Today
40 IN STOCK
26.43 miles away

Deptford #929
Store Hours

1370 Hurffville Rd, Deptford, NJ 8096 | (856)374-7700
Qty:
Pick Up In Store Today
10 IN STOCK
30.04 miles away

King Of Prussia #4188
Store Hours

181 S Gulph Road, King Of Prussia, PA 19406 | (610)265-7380
Qty:
Pick Up In Store Today
13 IN STOCK
30.31 miles away

Howell #933
Store Hours

1990 Route 9, Howell, NJ 7731 | (732)409-9996
This store has limited quantity in stock. Please call to confirm availability.
23.85 miles away

Berlin Township #940
Store Hours

Nice ! We don't have any locally that I know of but I haven't checked in a couple of weeks. Last I knew all our local stores had GS and Thermaglo.
the bummer for me is I won't burn Chows anymore.... toooooooo much ash..
But I'm gonna keep a close eye and see if HD's get any real good stuff like Blazers/AWFWP etc...

My store in Plymouth Ma. is showing them at 5.18 a bag, that would be the $259 a ton price if they really have them. They been showing them all winter and have GS or Thermaglo really. Same price, it's been stuck there for months now.

We're getting a 100 gal of oil next week, that will cost us $152 and take us into March if weather holds out .. It will take us into March if the weather doesn't hold out too because I'll fill in with pellets if the weather changes LOL. Obviously there are plenty to be had even if not at your locations prices !

Reactions: Cory S and bogieb
My store in Plymouth Ma. is showing them at 5.18 a bag, that would be the $259 a ton price if they really have them. They been showing them all winter and have GS or Thermaglo really. Same price, it's been stuck there for months now.
might change quick..
these 199.00 chows we're NOT posted at HD yesterday....
I know.. Iwas there yesterday... this price just changed this morning.

might change quick..
these 199.00 chows we're NOT posted at HD yesterday....
I know.. Iwas there yesterday... this price just changed this morning.
That's good but I doubt we even have Chows up here. I hope it changes anyway, they would be smart to move them out of their yards, then let the customers worry about if they get damaged vs eating them due to damage. All these big yards store the pellets right out in the open.

Status
Not open for further replies.