Headaches caused by corn stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
was the pellet stove in the same spot?

I have the same problem here, w/ my PDVC heating the whole2 story 1800 ft house, I utilize a large pyrex pan hanging over the front edge of the stove so the heat rising from the door hits it. It evaporates a lot of water! Have to fill it twice a day! I refill it from a pitcher that I warm on top of the stove, so it starts warmer than tap. I also utilize a small cold ultrasonic frog type humidifier, which costs about 20 bucks at walmart, and a big filter type, that has a digital display and you can set it so it turns on and off automatically. I find that if I let the big guy run out of water when very cold out, the humidity rapidly falls to below the range of the digital display, which is 25%. I try to keep it above 40%, but when it is very cold that is a lot of work, and my electric bill is up there. But, no more headaches! Any higher than 40% just condenses on the windows, especially upstairs where the temps only get to mid 60's, and all that moisture is carried up by the heat. Moisture goes with the heat, and heat (energy) only goes in one direction- from an abundance of energy to where there is less energy. Which is why you need vapor barriers in the walls- without them, ALL the moisture in the house will condense IN THE WALLS, causing mold and, ........... drumroll............ HEADACHES!

Somehow I didn't even think about setting a pan of water over the edge of the stove so the heat from the blower hits it but its a good idea that I am going to try right now!

The pyrex dish works great. It takes about 2 hours for it to get hot enough to make a difference but it does a good job at adding humidity. The trick is to place about 1/2 of the dish directly on top of your blower. I am just hoping it doesnt crack and leak water on my stove. As a bonus, I added a few drops of fragrance oil to the water and the entire house smells nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.