1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Headed to Machias ME 12/9 thru 12/19

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by Defiant, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Defiant

Defiant Vermont Castings Geek

Loc:
    Old Lyme CT
    Headed there by boat from CT for research, any members live or been there? Was Steven Kings "Storm of the Century" filmed there?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. nate379

nate379 Guest

Parts were filmed near MDI and Bar Harbor from what I remember, 40ish miles from Machias.
  3. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Been there a few times . . . this time of year it's sure to be pretty quiet . . . heck . . . at just about any time it's pretty quiet. Make sure to get some pie at Helen's Restaurant.
    Defiant likes this.
  4. Defiant

Loc:
    Old Lyme CT
    Thanks Jake, I hear blueberries are big there:cool:
  5. firefighterjake

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Very true . . . and they are the "real" blueberries . . . not those mutant high bush things that folks call blueberries.
    Defiant likes this.
  6. mywaynow

mywaynow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeast
    Would love to hear about the terrain that exists there today. I was there years ago, I think it was "Big" Machias lake then. Some time in the mid/late 80s. Hunted out of Ivan Porter's camps. The Spruce Bud Worm was the big drive behind massive clear cutting. We drove miles down the Golden Rd with stacks of logs 30 ft high the entire time. The growth that resulted from those clear cuts made for dense woods. We always wanted to return to see if the area could be hunted again.
  7. smoke show

smoke show Guest

Have fun Joe. I like pie too... :p
    Eatonpcat and Defiant like this.
  8. firefighterjake

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Machias and "The Golden Road" are quite far away . . . "The Stud Mill Road" is a bit closer to Machias.

The landscape is changing here in Maine . . . there are still some large paper mill property owners and they stil clear cut and replant . . . but some private landowners and corporations are now buying up large tracts of land . . . for better or for worse.
  9. Defiant

Loc:
    Old Lyme CT
    I am hoping we pull into the dock at least once. We are traveling and staying on a research vessel.
  10. flyingcow

flyingcow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northern-half of maine
    Have fun, but you couldn't get me onto the ocean water in Maine during winter. Unreal cold
  11. firefighterjake

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    I don't know if you could get me into the ocean water in middle of the Summer FlyingCow . . . still pretty darned cold even then.
  12. Mrs. Krabappel

Mrs. Krabappel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Blue Ridge Mountains NC
    U of Maine has a branch in Machias with a good bio program that I considered so I took a nice little trip up that way. GREAT birding offshore, particularly during breeding season. Puffins, razorbills, storm petrels, etc.