heads up for bbq'ers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEConklin

Feeling the Heat
Jan 5, 2013
Connecticut
..that use hardwood lump charcoal..

Wal Mart's got 17.6 pound bags of Royal Oak lump...the good stuff - Made in the USA - for $8...

I don't recall ever seeing it any cheaper than that. I got a dozen bags....ought to last until July anyway ;)

Reactions: Huntindog1 and pen
Thanks for the heads up! I went into winter with about 600 pounds stocked up because it can be hard to find at a reasonable price around here in the winter. Well this winter was darn nasty that I only used about half of what I normally use so I am still sitting on about 400 pounds or more. I still may get a dozen or so ==c . I pay around $11 for the same bag at Restaurant Depot.

I used some last night in my barrel grill to do some marinated chicken breasts. Excellent stuff! I've had some Royal Oak that sparked so much it looked like the 4th of July. But this stuff is great! Nice regular size to the pieces and it lights quickly in the chimney with very little sparking...which is especially nice when your grills are on wooden deck attached to the house.:ZZZ

With a medium BGE, a Primo Oval XL and barrel grills and hibachis at both house and camper; I'm glad I went back yesterday for another dozen bags ...and just about emptied the pallet at the local Wally World ;em

Between that and the stockpile of 20 smaller bags of Cowboy lump from last autumn's sales - I should be OK .....for a while

i saw RO charcoal for $8 at Aubuchon also. Aubuchon is usually more expensive.

When my wife and I were in the local Home Depot on Friday, they had a pallet of the same RO charcoal on sale for $12.78 a bag....that's when she stopped questioning the wisdom of my purchasing 24 bags total at Wally World :p

I have only one smoking session in this year. It better get warm soon! I want to try pork shoulder at some point for the first time.

Banjos? More than one?!? Awesome! Do you play any other instruments?

I just missed their (Wall-marts)great deal on GAS GRILL Propane tank exchange. It ran for 2 weeks. $18.96 to exchange your empty propane tank for a full one and a $10 gift card thrown in on the deal. $8.96 for 4+ gallons of propane is a great price considering the shortages and high prices. I have about 12 tanks (use most of them for spot heat)

Last edited:
my local place that usually does 9.99 fills, raised price to 15.99. :mad:

Banjos? More than one?!? Awesome! Do you play any other instruments?

I play Clawhammer style and have three 5 strings in playable condition now - one is a fretless. I also have a playable tenor and a few basket case tenors and 5 strings - older instruments from the early 20th century....Vegas mostly ...no Gibsons left.

I used to buy and sell them on Ebay - at one point I had 35 of the dang things. Made some decent money in the process. Sold banjos and banjo parts to folks all over the world - Japan, Australia, Ireland, England, Spain, France - gave one to a US soldier serving in Iraq.

I can also find my way around a guitar sometimes - and I have a ukulele.

Reactions: DevilsBrew
Status
Not open for further replies.