heads up people, its that time again

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Delta-T

Minister of Fire
Feb 27, 2008
NH
so ye old "stove season" is here for some and soon to be here for others so I suggest the "casual pointers for newbs and some old dogs who just get flighty"

I suggest:
fire up your stove before you need it, that way you can address anything at your convenience rather than swearing at it when you want heat.

rotate your pellet stock to use oldest pellets first, they may be just fine, but, you got nothing to lose

double check venting for bees (see thread on beeeeees), birds, goats...what have you...they get in there when your not lookin.

how's your surge protector doing? don't have one? get one...today like.

newbs, please read your manuals, seriously, for the most part they really are helpful, and at the very least it will give you a baseline "terminology" that will assit you in trouble shooting and whatnot.

for funsies, get yourself a notebook to log stove activities, loading, cleaning, pellet observations, ect...one thing I find super interesting is how energy curious the pellet community is. Some of our very own memebers have developed themselves into "experts" (and respected as such) without any real training, just time, energy and curiousity...that could be you too.

Set booty trap for stove gnomes...they always messin with stuff when you sleeping.

What else you guys got???

Reactions: abrucerd and The Ds
HEY!! Smokey resembles that crack about "old dogs" (old bears???).:mad:

But you pointed out some good things to "get ready" for burning season.

The thing I like the most is the "booty trap".....need to catch me a couple to keep me warm & happy this winter when I'm away from the stove.;)

Well, I can sit here and stare at my stove (covered by a blanket in a corner of the living room), until Scott and his crew show up next Friday to haul it upstairs and do the install. After that I can start to play, I mean learn how to use it.

Remove ALL of the plugged cavities keeping the damp summer air out.

After several summers of rust development in the firebox by plugging only my vent, I plugged EVERYTHING I could find with a rag. Dammit, I knew I should have written down all the plugs.

Well at least the firebox is as dry, clean and rust free as the day she was cleaned WOO HOO :)

and the most obvious one: GET YOUR PELLETS BEFORE IT GETS COLD!

Dont wonder why the poor, good-looking, honest, overworked, pellet salesman cant deliver your just-ordered pellets tomorrow because its gonna be cold tonight. Well, let me clue you in......its because you waited to long to order them! :rolleyes:

and the most obvious one: GET YOUR PELLETS BEFORE IT GETS COLD!

Dont wonder why the poor, good-looking, honest, overworked, pellet salesman cant deliver your just-ordered pellets tomorrow because its gonna be cold tonight. Well, let me clue you in......its because you waited to long to order them! :rolleyes:

What?

I heard this fella at squire lumber will deliver them no matter what. Even at 1:00am on xmas morning even. I hear he'll even "give" you a few bags until your order comes in from another dealer ifn you run out even. He's just like santa even. Free pellets from squires even! ;)

I think I'm getting even! ==c :p

them hillbillies over there certainly are hardworking folks, arent they?

Everyone should give em a call. Seriously they take good care of their customers. a lil "warm" birdy told me! ;)

By the way LW, Aint you got some work to do or something? Slacker! ::-)

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
HEY!! Smokey resembles that crack about "old dogs" (old bears???).:mad:

But you pointed out some good things to "get ready" for burning season.

The thing I like the most is the "booty trap".....need to catch me a couple to keep me warm & happy this winter when I'm away from the stove.;)

Hey you old reprobate, us old bears do just fine, oh and we have been known to tree a few dogs as well.

Everyone needs to practice cleaning their stoves, that way fewer of those why is my #2 light flashing questions get posted here on or about the first day of the heating season. It might also reduce the number of admonishments and trouble shooting lessons delivered by one Eric of Kinsman stoves. imacman is tired of failing all those pop quizzes :p.

Everyone should give em a call. Seriously they take good care of their customers. a lil "warm" birdy told me! ;)

By the way LW, Aint you got some work to do or something? Slacker! ::-)

heck, trying to multitask, tho I think its a myth!

Can I get the Squire Gnome out my way on the Cape this coming Christmas eve.

My son would love a free bag of pellets to put in his stocking.

BTW, while the Squire Gnome is here.....could he clean my exhaust vent, firebox, combustion blower, convection blower, dump may ash pan, and clean my window glass. And oh yeah haul a bag or two up from the basement. ;lol

I'll leave a plate of stale cookies and a warm (room temp) glass of milk for him. :p

Just Askin'
---Nailer---

Reactions: salmonhunter
Status
Not open for further replies.