Heaing dhw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 16, 2008
pei
What is the most effective way to heat dhw? I have an econoburn 150 , oil boiler with a dhw coi 40 gallon hot water heater. Can a electric hot water heater be used as storage? Would a circulater pump hooked up to the coil in boiler heat the water heater?

I believe a lot of folks on this site use what is called a "sidearm" to indirectly heat your DHW with your boiler water. It can be plumbed pretty easily as part of an existing heat zone or as a zone of it's own. If your boiler has an existing coil for the hot water your hookup should be quite straightforward...

I have a 60 gal. Superstore indirect water heater which is fed off of the first zone on my secondary loop. DHW is still good and hot after 48 hrs, with no added heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.