Healthy Ironwood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
This Ironwood measures 33 inches in circumference, I think the NYS Record is 18 inches in circumference. Thistle had sent me the link.

Just did the edit, original post was NYS Record is 18 inches in diameter which was wrong. 6:55pm

gibir

Attachments

• 100_3504.jpg
    100_3504.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 227
  • 100_3505.jpg
    100_3505.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 252
  • 100_3506.jpg
    100_3506.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 241
You saying you have a new track record?

smokinjay said:

I think 54 inches in circumference is the state record so we are shy of that.

gibir

zapny said:
smokinjay said:

I think 54 inches in circumference is the state record so we are shy of that.

gibir

Ok, thought I might be reading it wrong. Never seen one so sure its a Indian St. Record...lol

flyingcow said:
I think thats we refer to as hornbeam? nice looking tree

Closely related,but not the same tree.Hophornbeam is common name of this,American Hornbeam is also called Ironwood,grows in mostly same region & habitat,is a bit smaller usually though.

flyingcow said:
I think thats we refer to as hornbeam? nice looking tree

Yeah it's referred to both up here. Ironwood or hornbeam. We used to use the stuff a side stakes on the potato barrel trucks. Makes real nice stakes on a trailer. And correct, it doesn't grow that big in diameter.

No matter how you look at it, that is big for ironwood. I've never seen one that big around here; not even close.

4 or 6 inch round is avg. I was a trailmaster for our local snowsled club. I usually staked the trails. Basically just used 1 inch stickers from the local lumber mill. We had a spell of "kids" that would crack the stakes with the skis of the sled. Break a mile or two of stakes at a time. Had a early snow year, and they did it again. In the grass ground I could restake under about a foot of snow, not easy but it could be done. I re-staked the field, with 2 inch Ironwood. In the spring there were sled parts everywhere. Never had to re-stake again. ;-P love that ironwood.

I've seen several that size, diameter wise, they seldom get tall and straight like yours. I brought one in to my mill years ago that was 16" dbh I think we got one 12 foot log out of it. I cut it for a trailer tongue for a guy and saved some jacket lumber for myself. Wonder where that is now????

One of the best domestic woods I know of for chisel/gouge handles,mallets,felling wedges & any smaller wooden implements that take lots of abuse.One stick even made a nice rolling pin for the kitchen.

Zap, that's a big one!

Status
Not open for further replies.