Heard something out near the wood stacks last night......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muncybob

Minister of Fire
Apr 8, 2008
Near Williamsport, PA
The stacks I have that are drying for next year and beyond are located in a back pasture area maybe about 100 yards away from our barn and 300 yards from the house. As usual, last night Nipper(our dog) & I went out to check on the horses around 7 pm and to take our nightly walk. While out at the barn I heard a coyote howl...nothing unusual there but the location of the howl was much closer to us than I ever heard before. A few minutes passed and I hear it again in the same location but this time the howl was followed by several barks....sounded just like our neighbor's black lab bark.
Took a slow walk toward the wood stacks and heard it again and also with the barks..seems the coyote was in the densley wooded area just behind the stacks. I've never heard them bark like a dog before(yes, I know they are related). We have heard them yip but no barks. I'm told that either it was protecting a kill or protecting a den area??? I think mating season is about here so maybe it's related to that?
I'm guessing with the number of us here that spend a lot of time in wooded areas others have heard this also? I decided to make some noise to scare it off...not sure if it left the area but it did stop howling/barking. Going out again tonight to see if it's back. It just better not try stealing any of my wood or I'll get the guns out! :)

They bark, howl, and chatter. Best time to hear a howl if you have coyotes nearby is when a siren is sounding. Now that our deer season is over, time for me to get ready to bust some
song-dogs. They have decimated the quail and rabbit population around me.

Yea, our local volunteer fire dept uses a siren still and even though it's miles away the sound carries well up to us and gets them going. We had a dog that looked a lot like a coyote/wolf mix...very smart and seemed to have a lot of "wild" instincts in her...she would always howl back to them. She howled when excited and never actually barked until she wa 8 yrs old.
Just never heard one bark(often 6 to 8 times) after howling.

muncybob said:
It just better not try stealing any of my wood or I'll get the guns out! :)

If you're going to be taking nightly walks with the dog you'd better get the guns out regardless. A good friend of my wife's lives on her parents 50 acre farm in Stillwater, NJ (Sussex County) and just lost a dog to 'yotes.

I keep an ear and an eye out for Coyotes concerned for the outdoor cat. But lately what I have been hearing is that blood curdling screen from a fox.

A group of coyotes barking rather than yipping and howling is what got me out last Sunday looking for tracks in the snow.
They must have been further away than they sounded because I couldn't find any recent tracks.

I found one set of tracks from one that were a week old but it was travelling alone.
and it was no where near where I heard them.

I found one that had been hit by a car near my house. It was a female, nearly 30 lbs and 32 inches long from snout to tail.

It may have been the same yote that my kids came across in the yard. Our beagle/schnauzer mix took care of that one real quick.
The boys said our dog grabbed the yote by the neck and shook it, and it took off. The funny thing is he's smaller but evidently
the yote didn't want any part of him. I used to be concerned for him, now I am just concerned about the rabbits, fawns and quail.
Although the dog might be part of that too, but he usually is just deadly to field mice...

Well........ when our dog was but a pup she was just outside our front door, tied up to a 25' rope - all 2-1/2 lbs of her. She started barking furiously (kind of funny for a pup) - I looked out - she was at the very end of her rope and there was a male coyote, head down, ears back, about 3' away from her. I screamed, our teenage son heard me, he grabbed a broom and ran out the door screaming madly at the coyote "Leave my dog alone!" while I followed close behind and grabbed the dog's rope and reeled her in and then brought her inside. The coyote never flinched, never moved - just stood there glaring at us.

Don't assume coyotes are afraid of people because they just might not be.

If you know coyotes are in your area keep your dog on a leash - you just never know when you might have to have total control/access over your dog - for the dog's safety & yours!

I've got a picture of a coyote standing on his rear legs picking pears off our pear tree in the middle of winter....... taken during daylight hours.

well if any are interested, this site has free calling MP3 files....but only use them if you are gonna deal with the Coyote, don't just educated them with calling.
I prefer to educated them with a .243 Winchester
http://www.varmintal.com

We had a coyote stair down our lab and it was not moving... I saw 2 others come my way from the woods. I nailed that sucker with a big split and yelled for my dog to get to the house. Needless to say the yelp was enough to discourage them from coming on my property again. In the last 5 years I have seen exactly one since then.

Hard for some to believe but a coyote will taunt your dog into chasing it and take it right to where others are waiting and your dog is done for. We have killed many as they run our beagles or birddogs back to us. The dogs run behind us and the coyotes die in front. They are by no means a dumb animal. I think last year in California there was something like 3 or 4 attacks by coyotes on children.

Rob

Thats what they were doing to my dog. Keep her busy while 2 others come from behind. Unfortunately you can not discharge a weapon by me or I would have had 3 hats ;-P

.223 bull barrel dialed in at 300 yards with a big ol scope on it. I will take one out at first sight if given the chance. They are bad news for domestic critters.

I would love to do that. But the choice is so difficult... The .223, no wait... 6.8spc? Heck if its within 200 yards how about the Beowulf .50 cal upper :lol: That'll leave a mark! :lol:

a stinking song-dog ain't worth no ten dollar bullets. Heck, if they are closer than 100 yards I am shooting rimfires at em.

jlove1974 said:
a stinking song-dog ain't worth no ten dollar bullets.

Not that it wouldn't be fun...but you hit the reason the .223 comes out. Its a cheap way to throw lead at them. And a .223 hollow point at 350 yards or less is quite effective.

We have lots of coyotes around us, but they must be lazy because they aren't cleaning up the neigborhood cat over-population very well.

Your right, but its a whole lot more fun! Impact is devastating. A 6.8 does damage on a whitetail. .50 cal just knocks em over! Actually your right, .223 with cheap wolf will do fine... With reloading I can make the 6.8 in hornady for 35 cents and the beowulf is hard to get at $30 for a box of 20. I can reload for 60 cents. Rattle 10 of those off fast and its the best 6 bucks you ever spent! :lol:

One shot in a foundation block the long way at 100 yards and the block jumps. Second one crumbles. And the handloads were light! You never know when a rabid migrant water buffalo may be lurking in the woods! ;-P

any truth to the rumor the PA game commision was paying $50 per yote carcass because of overpopulation. I heard a story about a dude who got caught shooting yotes in WV, dragging them across the border, and turning them into the PA game commision for the $ a while back.

Dieselbreath said:
It just better not try stealing any of my wood or I’ll get the guns out!

Maybe it was a couple wood chucks chucking your wood!

LOVE that commercial!!

I've heard the same rumors about our game commission but I don't know it for fact. Another rumor is that the yotes were brought in from out of the area to help control the ever increasing deer population. Some say insurance companies were behind the imports??? The dogs and I have found several deer legs over the last 2 years.

I'm not sure about other areas but we seem to have a rapidly increasing population of rabbits, deer and coyotes around here. Maybe they are all migrating from the northern counties due to all the natural gas drilling......

Anyhow, spent some time outside last night and didn't hear a peep. I plan to check out the area(sans the dog) this weekend in daylight to see if I can spot any dens. But first I have to cut down yet another cherry tree on my nearest neighbor's property that was wind/storm damaged... "free" firewood and he even provides refreshments once the job is done :)

Been hunting and trapping since about a crawling age. old enough to keep up anyways. i have heard the yotes are making ways south in my area, havent seen or heard any. pleanty of fox though. old timers speak of pheasent back in the day, i would have loved that, so would my shorthair. I understand the fox took care of them all. I now posses a Group permit for 'pest managment' loads of fun to head a field at evening with a bunch of buddies and come back with loads of pelts. shame prices for reds (easterns anyhow) arent really worth much today. heck the rats are more profitable.

by the way I only use the rim fires. only way to make money at it. that or a #2 coil spring. oh and a nice stick. if you dont get to them quick enough though I hear coyotes will eat a fox in a trap. (im an early monring checker so havent seen it) Dad has a hot 17hmr that im jealous of.

They will move about wood stacks mostly looking for mice. either young or hungry. could be a learning session for youngsters too. teach them your own lesson.

On the coyotes barking, I hear that a lot when deer hunting. Usually it happens just about the time it gets dark or a little before. The funniest time was one time some turkeys flew up to roost not very far from me. I had almost forgot them when suddenly some barking started. There were 3 coyotes barking at the birds. At the time I thought it would have been neat to have the coyotes get the birds and then me getting the coyotes. A couple of problems would have been solved right there! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.