Hearth and Home DV3732SBI Gas IPL Fireplace - On start pilot lights but cuts out after ~2 seconds

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jfnatx

Oct 31, 2023
Austin,TX
Hello. After many seasons of use (5+), when we go to turn on the fire place either through remote control or toggling switch to ON position on control box, the DEXEN module 593-592 attempts to light the pilot. I see the following occur:

1. The arc for 1-2 sec
2. Pilot flame comes on for approx ~2-3 seconds (pilot flame is strong and blue so I dont suspect a pilot line clog or dirty orfice)
3. Then everything abruptly stops. No arc as well is seen at this point.

I can get the pilot to stay on and main burner to ignite if I toggle the switch on remote box from REMOTE -> ON 10x-15x times. Basically if I attempt to turn off / on the switch repeatedly. On the 12-15th attempt, pilot stays on and burner lights. Main burner remains on for hours on end until I manually move switch to REMOTE position.

Could the issue be the Dixon module for some reason shorting out on during the attempts and then no longer sends the mvolts to pilot section of gas value causing plugger to close thus stopping gas to pilot line ? This in turn stops the entire lighting sequence in its path.

Troubleshooting:
1. Ohms at Pilot section on Valve - 38 Ohms
2. Ohms at Burner section on Valve - 58 Ohms
3. I clearly see ARC at the "I" pin on the DEXEN module when I remove connector and attempt to move it close to the pin. The ARC isnt that strong though.

I am unable to measure the mvolts at the pilot section of gas valve. It seems the DEXEN module on its way out however will function one out of many attempts. I have ordered a new module and keeping my fingers crossed. Thoughts anyone ? See video I have attached for how my pilot is acting.

Attachments

• IMG_6073.MOV
    6.1 MB
Last edited:
Hello. After many seasons of use (5+), when we go to turn on the fire place either through remote control or toggling switch to ON position on control box, the DEXEN module 593-592 attempts to light the pilot. I see the following occur:

1. The arc for 1-2 sec
2. Pilot flame comes on for approx ~2-3 seconds (pilot flame is strong and blue so I dont suspect a pilot line clog or dirty orfice)
3. Then everything abruptly stops. No arc as well is seen at this point.

I can get the pilot to stay on and main burner to ignite if I toggle the switch on remote box from REMOTE -> ON 10x-15x times. Basically if I attempt to turn off / on the switch repeatedly. On the 12-15th attempt, pilot stays on and burner lights. Main burner remains on for hours on end until I manually move switch to REMOTE position.

Could the issue be the Dixon module for some reason shorting out on during the attempts and then no longer sends the mvolts to pilot section of gas value causing plugger to close thus stopping gas to pilot line ? This in turn stops the entire lighting sequence in its path.

Troubleshooting:
1. Ohms at Pilot section on Valve - 38 Ohms
2. Ohms at Burner section on Valve - 58 Ohms
3. I clearly see ARC at the "I" pin on the DEXEN module when I remove connector and attempt to move it close to the pin. The ARC isnt that strong though.

I am unable to measure the mvolts at the pilot section of gas valve. It seems the DEXEN module on its way out however will function one out of many attempts. I have ordered a new module and keeping my fingers crossed. Thoughts anyone ? See video I have attached for how my pilot is acting.
I would suggest troubleshooting the remote, wall switch, and wiring before changing the module. You seem to have a problem with either the correct voltage getting to the module, or the correct voltage coming back through rectification.
Disconnect the two brown switch wires on the wiring harness from the remote/wall switch wires. Jump these two wires and see if it starts and runs.

Thanks for your reply Lennox. I jumped the two wires and got same result. Pilot only lights for 2-3 sec like my video. I had to jump the wires many times for module to not cut off pilot after lighting it for 2-3 seconds and light main burner.

Swapped in new module this AM, set control box to "REMOTE", and turned on fireplace through my wireless remote. Pilot light remained on consistently and main burner turned on. Whooo-hooo!

Repeated on / off through wireless remote many times all ended in fireplace lighting properly. Everything is back to normal.

For future reference, this below video was the most helpful to get acquainted and attempt to troubleshoot my DEXEN IPL module.

Last edited:
Reactions: 49er and Lennox65