Hearth and rear wall for Englander nc 30 question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

freddy4play

Feb 18, 2013
Hi Guys, first post so please take it easy on the Newbie. I am sure the answer is here somewhere but I am doing a major remodel on my house right now and am getting about 3 hours sleep a night. Does anyone have some solid/ easy links to build a hearth for an Englander NC-30? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am going to be building a hearth on a plywood floor and have no access Micore, at least I havent been able to find any in madison, wi. The pipe is going straight up through the ceiling. The ceiling is 8 ft high. I am not putting it in a corner, I am going to try to get it close to a a interior wall as my home is not very big, 1200 square feet. Also, is the stove overkill? I plan on heating my home as much as possible with it and want a long burn time. Ended up getting the englander 30 for $700 from Home depot. I will give the inside story on how to do that soon. Looking to put slate tile on top of the hearth and 1 inch brick on the wall. Thanks in advance.

Micore isn't a requirement as long as you meet the stated r value (I believe 1.5 for the NC30). It can be done with multiple layers of cement board.

Welcome and don't worry about being a newb - we all are at some point and I continue to be. This is one of the best sites on the web in my biased opinion with little or no "Ball Bustin" unless it is friendly banter with a ton of help. Especially regarding safety with installs, burning and cleaning practices and firewood gathering.

As far as thickness goes you just have to meet the R factor in whatever way is avaiable to you and within your budget. Thickness will depend on materials used. The reality is you may have to go thicker than you originally desired but some people more experience than I will be along to post suggestions. I do believe there are pre-fab hearth plates that can be had at a pretty reasonable price. I think TSC sells them but a google search will show you many options. Many of those have high R values and are relatively thin.

Try to post some pics of your set-up and situation. This may help with others input.

I have the same stove and built my hearth from 100+ year old brick pavers over Dura Rock with a 1" air gap against the wall but it sounds like you want a lower profile set up. Are you trying to save space or just keep the hearth at or near floor level for asthetics - or both?

Keep posting and include pics of your install - if there is anything we like more than pics on here I have not found it!! Especially pics of Stoves, Saws and Firewood!!

My home is only 1200 sq feet so I dont want a huge hearth sticking out in the middle of my living room. I really dont have any pictures to show you. I am doing a total remodel and all I have now is a blank wall with plywood on the floor with absolutely nothing to the left or the right except windows. 9 foot ceiling. I am just trying to keep it out of the way as much as possible so I am trying to tuck it as close to the wall and keep the profile as low as possible because my house is so small. It will be a focal point but it would be impossible to miss either way. Think it would be a good idea to put micore on the wall as well?

Think it would be a good idea to put micore on the wall as well?

It gains you nothing. A proper heat shield will do more to reduce clearance to combustibles.

NC 30 comes with rear heat shield installed. Dig out your yellow pages look for companies that repair/build/install industrial klins/ heat treat furnaces ( Refactory materials) . You can get what you need from them. If none in Madison, there is at least one here in Milwaukee, Sharp Refractories-414-570-1843. A few years back I got a small sheet of 1/2" 2000 deg board for the top of an older stove( above the secondary tubes) from them.

Ended up getting the englander 30 for $700 from Home depot. I will give the inside story on how to do that soon. Looking to put slate tile on top of the hearth and 1 inch brick on the wall. Thanks in advance.

Been wanting to get one of these for a while. How did you get it for that price? They are still $899 around me (PA).

Stay on the phone and call around to all the stores.

Or go to hd web sight and start punching in different zip codes for your home store

with Blades advice you get free shipping too. Strange but that is how they roll. I offered to purchase the stove at my local HD if they would match the price and they said that they couldn't. So I bought it from Virginia I think and it was shipped to my house for free. If I bought it locally I would have needed to pick it up. Not a biggy with a hammer or drill but a 400+lb stove - priceless!!

Do a search and find all the chatter about the NC30 zipcode dealio from last year and try some of those locations. As far as I remember it was somewhere in Virginia that sold a ton of stoves to hearth members last March or so but a seach will provide the timeline. You may be a little early but worth trying.

I would guess starting as far south as HD sells stoves would be a safe bet - spring comes early down there and they need to make room for lawnmowers and patio furnature on the floor.

Send the OP a message and ask?? I would

Status
Not open for further replies.