Hearth ash buckets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shari

Minister of Fire
Oct 31, 2008
Wisconsin
I have an observation to make: I am seeing photos of ash buckets sitting on hearths, 'storing' ashes. I don't do that.

Whenever I clean out my ash pan, the ash pan is taken outside and is dumped into a 13(?) gallon galvanized garbage can with a lock down lid. This 13 gallon can stays outside. Empty ash pan is then brought back into the house and reinserted into the stove. EDIT: Same thing should go for those of you who have to shovel out your ashes: Shovel them out then take the ashes outside.

My ash 'dumping' takes place outside. Ashes stay outside. Ashes are not disturbed inside.

When my 13(?) gallon garbage can gets filled it is then dumped into a 30(?) gallon galvanized garbage can which is elsewhere outside and then the little can is put back in a convenient location (near an exit door) and repositioned on it's heat proof surface.

I guess when I see an ash bucket sitting on/near a hearth I wonder if there are embers in there just waiting to get spilled out inside the house or waiting for live coal heat to transfer to the bottom of the ash bucket which 'might' be sitting on carpeting.

What are your thoughts about 'storing' ashes in the house?

(EDIT: I just changed the title a bit to include stove owners who do not have an ash pan.)

Shari, we used to do the same thing when we had an ash pan. Now, the ashes get cleaned but the ash holder then goes outdoors and sits on cement until it is time for the next cleaning. Before bringing it in, the old ashes then get dumped into the barrel to be held until spring when it will be spread over the vegetable gardens.

BS,

Sounds like a plan to me! I'm just concerned about ash buckets sitting inside a house........

Me too Shari. Especially those who have galvanized containers!

+1 and those indoor embers could start smoking also.

My go right outside as well, but I've started to walk to the road and dump the ashes in a thin line right along the heaping snow banks - there are several feet of snow and there is no chance of setting anything on fire. The snow extinguishes the coals in short order. I hand out for about 5 minutes to make sure all is well. Cheers!

Straight out of the ashpan, then outside with em and over the bank onto my evergrowing pile of old christmas trees.

Just kidding..........storing hot ashes and coals indoors gives off carbon monoxide and no one needs to breath that.

FireWalker said:
storing hot ashes and coals indoors gives off carbon monoxide and no one needs to breath that.

Correct!!! :)

We have 4 co2 detectors in our house and 2 within 8 feet of our stove. I've never had any of them register anything but 0. With that being said, I always empty the ash can outside before I leave the house.

project240 said:
We have 4 co2 detectors in our house and 2 within 8 feet of our stove. I've never had any of them register anything but 0. With that being said, I always empty the ash can outside before I leave the house.
CO2=Carbon Dioxide which is used in class B and C fire extinguishers. CO =carbon monoxide. Be safe. Not trying to bust you this is a common mistake.
Ed

Thanks ED. Yeah, they are CO detectors... not co2.

Nothing fancy for me. A small galvy pail for and shovel for ash removal. This gets put in the garage unitl next use. Use it repeatedly until its near full. Then this pail gets dumped into large galvey garbage can with cover that sits on paver walk way behind garage. When this is full, it goes into garden. I dumped the large can back in Dec before all the snow. Now we have about 3' of snow on the ground. Looks like all dig a hole in the snow and then dump when I need to.

stejus said:
Nothing fancy for me. A small galvy pail for and shovel for ash removal. This gets put in the garage unitl next use. Use it repeatedly until its near full. Then this pail gets dumped into large galvey garbage can with cover that sits on paver walk way behind garage. When this is full, it goes into garden. I dumped the large can back in Dec before all the snow. Now we have about 3' of snow on the ground. Looks like all dig a hole in the snow and then dump when I need to.

stejus: You just might want to read about what can happen when ashes are stored in a garage: http://www.jsonline.com/news/waukesha/112928819.html

From the above article: "The homeowner had cleaned out her pellet stove and placed the ashes, which she believed were extinguished, into a garbage can in the garage."

Store that ash can outside, on a fire proof surface.

yooperdave said:
Shari said:
FireWalker said:
storing hot ashes and coals indoors gives off carbon monoxide and no one needs to breath that.

do you two mean that ashes give off CO2??? i didn't know coals produce CO.....

CO (carbon monoxide) and CO2 (carbon dioxide) are two different things.

Actually, it would be a hidden ember or a "hot coal" that gives off CO - and, no, you don't want to breath in CO - that's why you should have multiple CO monitors in your home.

From Wikipedia: "Carbon monoxide (CO), also called carbonous oxide, is a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas which is slightly lighter than air. It is highly toxic to humans and animals in higher quantities..."

...and that's another reason you should NOT store your ash bucket inside your home, inside your garage, inside anywhere. Ash buckets belong outside. Period.

Shari said:
FireWalker said:

GREAT POST

PLUS
many metals give off toxic gasses when they get hot.
If painted, toxic paint fumes.

#1 Empty stove, important next step #2 get the ash container of ashes outside to a safe place ASAP (lid or no lid)

Good thinking Shari.
The last 2 times I've shoveled ashes, the ash hod (it's new this year) paint started stinking up the room. As soon as I was done, out the door they went. I give 'em a couple days on the see-ment porch, then out into a nice big pile 'o snow.

Shari said:
yooperdave said:
Shari said:
FireWalker said:

do you two mean that ashes give off CO2??? i didn't know coals produce CO.....

CO (carbon monoxide) and CO2 (carbon dioxide) are two different things.

Actually, it would be a hidden ember or a "hot coal" that gives off CO - and, no, you don't want to breath in CO - that's why you should have multiple CO monitors in your home.

From Wikipedia: "Carbon monoxide (CO), also called carbonous oxide, is a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas which is slightly lighter than air. It is highly toxic to humans and animals in higher quantities..."

...and that's another reason you should NOT store your ash bucket inside your home, inside your garage, inside anywhere. Ash buckets belong outside. Period.

yes already! i know the difference between CO and CO2. i know that CO is a product of incomplete combustion in gas appliances. what i don't know is how burning wood creates CO or is this just another product of incomplete combustion? i can understand the effects of a plugged vent but don't understand how a bucket of ashes with some coals is a source of CO.

also. there are no ash buckets in this or any of my dwellings that contain coals....specifically for the fire hazard they present.

puting coals into galvanized cans (in or outside) runs the risk of creating phosgene gas...toxic and deadly. the gas is created when the zinc-plating is burned off. this is why galvanized cans should never be used to cook in! how many times have you been to picnics for large gatherings where a galvanized can is use to steam corn on the cob??? or down south, deep south, roadside boiled peanuts from galvanized buckets???

yooperdave said:
i know that CO is a product of incomplete combustion in gas appliances. what i don't know is how burning wood creates CO or is this just another product of incomplete combustion? i can understand the effects of a plugged vent but don't understand how a bucket of ashes with some coals is a source of CO.

Carbon monoxide emissions are produced whenever fuels such as gas, oil, kerosene, wood or charcoal are burned.

As Shari said, if it burns it produces Co. Burning hot and clean produces less CO, smoldering fires produce the most CO. If there is young children, asthmatics, elderly with breathing problems and unlike some of our posters, your house is nice and tight and draft free the CO problem is magnified. Even a little CO when you stay inside for long periods can have an adverse affect. People often find that they feel better at work and when they return home flue symptoms, CO poisoning, returns. Please be safe.
Ed

No ash pail stays on my hearth any longer than the time it takes to shovel the ashes into it. I use a coal hod for an ash pail. It has no lid. Once filled, I place it outside on concrete where it stays for a day or two before being dumped on the snow covered ash pile. Then the coal hod stays outside until it's needed again.

or down south, deep south, roadside boiled peanuts from galvanized buckets???

I only buy from vendors using stock pots :coolsmile:

sorry...i still believe that CO is produced by incomplete combustion. that is what i was taught. that is the definition of CO. if burning wood produces CO, it tells me that the combustion process is incomplete. since for complete combustion you need fuel, heat and air. it seems to me you have the fuel and the heat (provided the wood is not green) so all thats missing is the air. with all the ratings and specs on the new stoves, i wonder if they have included any specs for how much combustion air they need?

Ash buckets have no place inside a home or garage, unless you are in the act of filling them with ash from your stove. Once that task is complete, they should be taken outside away from the home and stored in a maner where they absolutely can not be knocked over, blown over, or left uncovered where a breeze could blow any embers out of the bucket or blow leaves and other combustible items IN the bucket. Many homes have been burned to the ground due to improper ash removal, disposal and storage. Ask any fireman and they will tell you the same thing. Most people worry about creosote build up, but the single largest threat when using a woodstove is ash related, by far. Get a fool proof plan that works for you and your living situation that will 100% safely handle your ashes and stick to it always.

yooperdave said:
sorry...i still believe that CO is produced by incomplete combustion. that is what i was taught. that is the definition of CO. if burning wood produces CO, it tells me that the combustion process is incomplete. since for complete combustion you need fuel, heat and air. it seems to me you have the fuel and the heat (provided the wood is not green) so all thats missing is the air. with all the ratings and specs on the new stoves, i wonder if they have included any specs for how much combustion air they need?
You are correct as I noted in a smoldering fire. An ash can full of ash and smoldering produces CO as we have said.
Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.