hearth blower help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bull

Dec 7, 2008
south east ky
i have these blowers that was laid in with the rock they are operational but do not blow any heat out can someone give any adive on how to make use of these to move aie into the room. thanks.

fisherinsertf1.jpg

Nice looking Hearth. Maybe someone thought if the stone heated up it would blow warm air. But looks nice.

Great looking hearth and stove!

Ray

thanks guys been trying to find a good blower set up.

You set up is similar to ours. Your existing fan system is probably to high CFM for your current setup. When the steel box that is your fireplace's firebox had an open fire in it, the steel was exposed to higher temps. It looks like you have an 'air' chamber around your steel box. Now that your stove is in there, the steel doesn't get as hot = air in the air chamber doesn't get as hot. You want to get whatever heated air is in that air chamber into the room. Try this:

Remove both vents from one side, i.e. one bottom and one top vent. Shine a light in there. Make sure there are no well structured spider webs in there - they will impede natural air flow (ask me how I know :)). Either find yourself a VERY small fan or look into purchasing a muffin fan, something like these:
http://www.buyextras.com/fanscooling.html?gclid=CKv_yNfIjaYCFc9w5QodMEr2pA

Get your stove going. Wait - wait - wait. After awhile (an hour?), stick you have slightly inside the upper vent where you removed the grill. You should feel warm air. Now, place that small fan/muffin fan just inside the lower vent. Turn the fan on real LOW and a gentle flow of warmed air should start coming out the upper vent.

If this works (and it should) do the same on the other side.

Again, I think your current fans are just pushing too much air through - the air is not getting the opportunity to get warmed inside the air chamber.

By the way: We do not have the metal grills like you have. We have just plain ol' wire window screening, bent up like the top half of a gift box and then gently place inside our vents.

Status
Not open for further replies.