HEARTH BUILD. AM I SCREWED?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

duramax_lbz

Sep 23, 2014
mass
so i pulled the trigger on a 55-ip from amfm and decided to build a corner hearth, so i went to lowes and bought plywood,2 sheets of durock and ceramic tiles then asked to worker for thinset as i have no clue what it is. he points me to this universal ready to use adhesive for tile and stone floor and wall stuff i told him what i was building and he assured me it would work. i was talking to my boss and he told me that thinset cement is what i was supposed to use. my question is will i be ok or do i need to build another?

I did plywood a layer of the adhesive then screwed down durock, then another layer of adhesive then screwed another durock sheet. and now that i have thinset i was going to put a layer of that and then the tiles
my stove says all i need is non combustible floor or build a pad using 2 sheets of durock in manual

Sounds right, just use a trowel that is made for the tiles, usually a 1/4" by 1/4"

I tiled my entire basement floor, at first I bought the premixed adhesive that comes in the 5 gallon buckets. That was a mistake, after about 10 tile, I quit using it and went and bought the thinset cement that is in bags, the mixed it myself. This stuff came out much more manageable to apply and spread, has a nice tight bond too. The premixed stuff will work, I just found it such a pain to work with.

My understanding is that pre-mix is not a portland cement based product, rather an adhesive type product since cement based product cannot be pre-mixed.
Not sure if there is any concern to having a non-cement product in the sandwich or not. I would think that technically if its adhesive based...it would be combustible, to what degree...I have no idea.

The thinset product that you purchased, did you have to mix the powder with water, then trowel on like brick mortar?

no it was open lid and spread .. upon further reading it stated do not use where more than 120F. but a pellet stove should not get that hot on floor correct? plus i will have a layer of tiles, thinset cement 1/2 durock before the adhesive crap i used

What is the listed requirement for floor protection in the stove manual? If its ember protection only, you will probably be fine. AS you said, most pellet stoves dont project much heat down to the floor

ya im gonna go with it some people do not use any adhesive or thinset between the durock so i dont think it will be a big deal i was just more pissed that i paid 25$ for the wrong crap and thought it might burn..

but on a side note i am going to put it on hardwood floor should i screw the hearth down or can i just rest it on the floor i would rather not mess up the flooring

sit it on the floor, the weight of the stove will hold it down, if you think it will slide, get some of that sticky rubber back tape meant for furniture feat and put on the bottom, a few strips of that and it wont go anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.