Hearth build brick wall: I NEED AN EDGE TRIM!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brider

Jun 13, 2008
New Haven, CT
I know this is a pathetic plea, but has anyone recently built a hearth pad, and used a 2 1/2" or thereabouts edge molding or bullnose?
HD has squat that would work, local lumberyard has some profiles of chair rail molding that MIGHT work, but I don't like them. Does anyone here have any suggestions (besides quit-yer-_itching and slap something on there)?

My total thickness WITHOUT the tile is 1 3/4", the bottom 3/4 is plywood. That's why I figure 2 1/2" height is a minimum, to give me an edge that's slightly taller than the tile/thinset.

Oh, I don't have any way to rip or modify a profile to work. I need to use it as is.

brider said:
...Does anyone here have any suggestions (besides quit-yer-_itching and slap something on there)?

Other than that, no, not much comes to mind. %-P Have you already chosen/bought the tile? Is the tile you're installing available in bullnose trim pieces? Could you just wrap the tile down around the sides to finish the hearth? If all you have to do is make a bunch of straight tile cuts to get the width you need for the edge, that's easily done with a relatively cheap score-and-snap tile cutter. Then come back with a little piece of quarter-round molding just to completely finish the floor around the edge of the hearth. I s'pose another alternative, if you're stuck on having a wood trim, but you have no woodworking tools, is to go to a mill and tell them what you need, and have them make it for you. Rick

If you want wood, cant you just keep it simple with some square stock? You could even then top that with some smaller trim like you would for making your own base.

I'm not following the profile math, but maybe I'm missing something. 3/4" plywood + 1 3/4" + 1/8" thinset + 1/4" (or thicker) tile = ~ 2 7/8"

Depending on the actual finished height, there are lots of trim moldings that will work. Maybe look at low baseboard or even door clamshell for starters?

Also, if it does finish out at just under 3" high you might be able to use a 1x3 with a piece of quarter round or other molding detail on the top. If it finishes out at 2.5" then use a 1x2 and a taller molding like a base shoe.

I was in the same spot and ended up making my own from white oak. It was cut from the property I own over 40 years ago and makes for a good conversation piece when showing off the house. It's also a lot more durable than what you'll buy at the big hardware stores.

Thanks for the great suggestions, everyone. As for the stackup: 3/4" plywood, 9/16" (measured) Micore, 1/2" Durock, total ~1 3/4". Tile will be another 1/4"-3/8".

So I decided on a 1" x 2 1/2" bullnose trim, hopefully oak if I can find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.