Hearth built off center.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JA600L

Minister of Fire
Nov 30, 2013
Lancaster Pennsylvania
Hello Guys,
I would like to build a hearth with the stove off of center. It will be slate tile on Durock with metal studs.

My reasons.
1. There are two flues. The one not used will be capped, but they are about 2 ft from each other.

2. I want to have my tools and a log holder on the right side of the hearth as well.

3. Centering a large hearth around the stove will not work as I do not have space on the left side for it.

Does anybody see any reason why I shouldn't do this?

I added some slate tiles to my hearth and I wish I had chosen another stone. Slate is rather brittle....if you drop something you can easily chip it. I like the look, but there has to be a better more durable stone to choose.

As long as all hearth clearance requirements for the stove are met and your wife agrees with that somehow asymmetric look ;), I don't see why not.

As long as all hearth clearance requirements for the stove are met and your wife agrees with that somehow asymmetric look ;), I don't see why not.

No problems there. This is a mancave.

Status
Not open for further replies.