Hearth.com...as good as having sex

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fossil

Accidental Moderator
Sep 30, 2007
Bend, OR
From the Los Angeles Times:

Need satisfaction? Tweet about yourself
May 09, 2012|Deborah Netburn
Researchers at Harvard University have gotten to the bottom of why so many people are compelled to share our every thought, movement, like and want through social networks like Twitter, Facebook, Foursquare, Instagram and Pinterest.
In a series of experiments, the researchers found that the act of disclosing information about oneself activates the same sensation of pleasure in the brain that we get from eating, getting money or having sex.
This may help explain recent surveys of Internet use that show that roughly 80% of posts to social media sites like Twitter and Facebook consist simply of announcements about one's own immediate experience.
Lead researcher Diana Tamir and her co-author, Jason P. Mitchell, devised a series of experiments to measure the reward response that people get when they talk about themselves.
For part of the study, they hooked up test subjects to an MRI machine and watched the participants' brain activity as they answered questions about their own opinions and questions about other people's opinions.
The researchers found that the brain regions associated with reward -- the nucleus accumbens and the ventral tegmental area -- were strongly engaged when people were talking about themselves and less engaged when they were talking about someone else.
They also found that the test subjects would turn down money (just a few cents) to talk about someone else, in order to enjoy the more pleasurable sensation of talking about themselves.
In the second part of the study, the researchers wanted to find out how important having an audience is to listen to one's self-disclosure.
"We didn't know if self-disclosure was rewarding because you get to think about yourself and thinking about yourself is rewarding, or if it is important to have an audience," Tamir said.
As anyone with 700 Facebook friends might have guessed, the researchers found greater reward activity in the brains of people when they got to share their thoughts with a friend or family member, and less of a reward sensation when they were told their thoughts would be kept private.
"I think the study helps to explain why people utilize social media websites so often," Tamir said. "I think it helps explain why Twitter exists and why Facebook is so popular -- because people enjoy sharing information about each other."

Reactions: n3pro
Plus- plus- during virtual wood sex, one incurs less splinters. uh- did I miss the point?
21950_1313339599399_1407949569_30897984_7606955_n.jpg

That explains multiple posts ;lol

Reactions: n3pro
Fine, but now let's talk about me...

How much will you pay me?

Is that why I fall asleep after I post? ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.......

Gotta go have a smoke.

OK let me test this theory out...

I woke up today at 3:30am...I did not want to wake up. I had entirely too many bags under my eyes this morning.
I took a long shower...still had the bags. Made myself presentable for modern society and went to work.
I performed 8 nuclear stress tests today.

Out of the 8, one had an anxiety attack during the test; one smoked 2 packs of cigs before he came for the test, one forgot his hearing aids and could not hear a thing and another one stopped at McDonalds across the street on the way and was eating an Egg McMuffin as he was walking in the door. The other four were pretty much normal except one forgot his teeth...(really non-essential.)

I came home and split and stacked about a quarter of a cord of wood.

I grilled some BBQ chicken and made some rice pilaf...and played with Freeway.

Now....really who the eff has 700 facebook friends? Are you kidding me?
I do not agree with this study...no stimulating pleasure in sharing my day.
Plus....how come I can't get a friggin Mri for a broken foot and they perform them for these studies dammit!;lol

Good read though Foss...I enjoyed it....half smiley.jpg

If posting on Facebook gives the same pleasure as sex, I submit that the researchers or their subjects have never had good sex. Well, I've never had 700 friends either.

Gamma, it sounds like you had an interesting day.

I propose its different for men than woman.The wife would not have a hard time gettin me off hearth.com to have sex,now gettin her off facebook so we could have sex............................................................... could be awhile.

"Go tweet yourself." just doesn't have that je ne sais quoi.

I understood the getting the brain wave readings for tweeting in the MRI but wonder how the hell they got people to have sex in an MRI machine. Now THAT is kinky. ;lol

Reactions: firefighterjake
hearth.cum/forums/wood

Yeah baby.

You know that look women get when they just have to have sex right at that moment....................... Neither do I.

I think this whole Facetweet phenomenon is goofy. Times like this, I'm glad I have more years behind me than I have ahead. :rolleyes:

Is this the place to ask for a Mature Section ?

Mature.jpg Mature 1.jpg :ZZZ That's the look Dork

"In a series of experiments, the researchers found that the act of disclosing information about oneself activates the same sensation of pleasure in the brain that we get from eating, getting money or having sex."

Mountains / molehills.

I've been I told I don't give good post ;sick , you know I'm not 19 anymore!

Status
Not open for further replies.